License Compatibility

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

OMG!  Thank you Solid Edge Team for this secret little gem that I never read about and just discovered.  When was it implemented?

I updated our license server today with the ST10 license.  My production ST8 clients and my test ST9 client didn't need to update their license files to match the server.  Both versions of Solid Edge still ran with their old (client) license file.

• No weird editing of the license files.
  • No updating the ST8 license file with the ST10 license file to run ST8 (or ST9).
  • This is awesome.  (And by "this" I mean not having to push a new license file out to every client just to test the next version.)

Betreff: License Compatibility

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @swertel

this behaviour was here as long as I can remember.

Licenses always were downwards compatible.

There is only one "break" here, and this is between ST3 and ST4

from ST3 every license can be used downwards to v1x but not a ST4 or higher license

Here every license e.g. ST10 will work for ST4 and higher.

As YOu mentined this - together with the use of the "USE_SERVER" in the client license (which since ST8 or so will be done from the wizzard too) let You upgrade the license server even without the need of a stop an start (code "reRead") as long as the FlexLM itself will be compatible too.

regards
Wolfgang

PLM World Member Phenom

I know the downwards compatibility, but I haven't gotten the USE_SERVER option to work since ST4.

Because of that, every time we need to test the next version before rolling it out to production, we have to update the license server with the latest version of the license file, the push that license file out to every client.  In other words, all my ST8 users will be running the ST10 license.

I may have spoken too soon, though.  While my IT dept said they updated the license server, I still can't get ST10 to run.  Says I don't have any valid licenses.  So they reread the ST10 license, and ST8 still runs, but ST10 won't.  And, as we're still here troubleshooting getting ST10 to actually run, my ST8 users are calling me with license problems.  Too soon to know if the problem is because we're trying to update the server or if we need to push out the ST10 license file to every client.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @swertel

as written by Dave ST10 needs to update the FlexLM server to the current and new version to work.

So only update the license file to ST10 might be not work with ST10 but with ST9 and ST8.

In this case it might be necessary to reinstall FlexLM at server

regards
Wolfgang

PLM World Member Phenom

I read the fabulous manual and noticed that the floating license server had to be updated.  I notified IT, but I'm not sure if they have completed the task yet.  We run quite a few licenses off of that same server, so they'll have to research it to make sure none of the other applications will be compromised.

PLM World Member Phenom

I want to capture some knowledge here in case anyone else finds themselves with an issue with FlexNET.

We couldn't get the lmgrd or other license managers working.  FlexNET was up-to-date and running.  The service was fine.  Each license manager was running and the current license files read.  But then, when a user would launch a client application, the license server would crash.

The problem ended up being a corrupt FlexNET log file.  We deleted the log file (a new one automatically gets created) and everything works just fine now.