Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limited update and limited save

Creator
Creator

Hi guys,

I've read the help files on limited update and limited save but I don't understand in what situations its advantagous to have them on or off.  Can any one explain this to me using an example?

Why wouldn't I want a save action to only  confine "the save operation to only those documents that you have opened and have write access to"?  In what siutations am I saving files that I didn't open and don't have write access to?

The slowest thing I deal with day to day is saving, closing, and checking in files so I've been trying to understand these options.

Thanks,

-Greg

1 REPLY

Re: Limited update and limited save

Phenom
Phenom

These two options are great for saving large assemblies. I always use them both either on or off together.

(By default) if you open a large assembly and save it, the system will ensure that all the information that goes to make that assembly is completely up to date. This is particualrly noticble when you have interpart links.

For example, you have a low level part P1 which is linked to another part P2. P2 has been modifed more recently than P1 so SE will open in memory and update P1 to ensure that it is up to date. This is regardless of the changes in P2 actually affect P1 - how does it know until it updates P1? The updates will also likely include re-calculating masses etc. as appropriate. Now the assembly A1 that P1 was in needs updated, and the assembly above it etc. etc. plus of course P3 could be dependant on A1 that has changed so it now needs updated....

What Limited Update/Save does is only updates the documents you have explicitly opened in that session, hence depending on your model, can be significantly quicker, HOWEVER, you will need to be careful and periodically do a proper save to ensure you don't run into problems by using out of date documents.