Lines not appearing in draft view

Experimenter
Experimenter

I'm having an issue when I try to make an assembly into a draft. I have these bolts with the threads modelled into the part and when I turn the assembly that they are in into a draft, the threading is not included. I've done some research on the problem and my Tangent edge style is set to tangent and I am creating all face intersections and updating the views and yet my problem persists. I have tried creating a draft of the part in question alone and the threading appears just fine. Any help would be appreciated.

Draft.png

10 REPLIES

Re: Lines not appearing in draft view

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You need to turn on "Process Intersections" since the screws interfere with the part they are threaded into.  You can either do this globally in the Solid Edge Options to affect all new views or you can do this in a particular drawing views properties.

processintersections.png

Now in Solid Edge file properties there is a setting to mark hardware as hardware and it has an impact on how they are displayed in Section Views, but I was also thinking that a later capability was that it allowed this to display correctly in assembly drawing views where they interfered without turning on Process Intersection, but I cannot find any documentation specific to this so maybe I'm not remembering this quite right...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Phenom
Phenom

" I have these bolts with the threads modelled into the part "

I hope you have not actually produced a helical thread on the bolt?

If you have that could be part of the problem.

You should just use a plain cylinder and apply a thread feature to it.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Grundey wrote:

You need to turn on "Process Intersections" since the screws interfere with the part they are threaded into.  You can either do this globally in the Solid Edge Options to affect all new views or you can do this in a particular drawing views properties.

Hi Grundey, thanks for the suggestion. I have that set to "Create all face interactions (slowest)" and the problem persists. With respect to your other comment, I haven't heard anything about that, but I'll look into it.

Creator
Creator

Have there been any updates with this?  I am using ST5 and it will not show all lines for one component within an assembly.  I've tried the suggestions given here with no help.  The file that will not show correctly is a larger assembly compared to the rest (about 15 MB).  Any help?  This is a first for me.  I usually use NX and Solid Works.

Thanks!

-Tyler

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

It might be worth running Geometry Inspector on the models.

Do those screws have a simplified state?

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

agree, hopefully geometry inspector may show you an issue.

Sometimes if you look at the view properties, display tab, your problem part(s) may have a little red icon next to them.  i dont recall if its a little lightning bolt or what...  but it'd be to the left of the part name,  i highlighted the general area in the screen shot at thsi link

http://screencast.com/t/k9sMY1Y1Dyg3

Creator
Creator

I have tried the Geometry Inspector and show minimal faults (considering this is a STEP file downloaded from a third party) - nothing that would result in my issues right now at least.

I should mention that the "assembly" with the issue is actually just a single part saved as an assembly.  This is the only way that I have found to retain XYZ datum planes to be used during assembly.

I have attached a screen capture showing that the 3D model appears just fine.  It is strictly causing issues once I use this during drafting.

-Tyler

since this is a translated part...  are some faces design bodies and others construction?

are any of the faces just surfaces?

by default, constructions are not displayed in draft but you can turn these on manually?

http://screencast.com/t/II5USZ2AtzW

now this will just display the construction in the parts list window of the view's property window..

you will then need to select the construction and then choose to "show" it by checking on the show option on the right hand side under "Selected Part(s) Display".

Dont really think this is your issue but relavant to the topic of imported data not showing in drafts....

mind sharing your original step file and others can see what we get

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Even "minimal faults" can prevent the correct display of geometry in draft.  As much as it is a pain to clean up and address faults in imported geometry, downstream issues such as this are exactly why imported geometry should be cleaned up before reuse, even if just "minimal faults".