LinkMgmt.txt workaround in Solid Edge ST8

Some customers are dealing with a problem in Solid Edge ST8 when using the LinkMgmt file for fixing broken link assemblies.

Let's suppose that the parts of an assembly have been moved to a folder "\\server\engineering\project1\parts" and the previous assembly link was broken.

When the LinkMgmt.txt file is edited based on the syntax below, the paths between "BEGIN SEARCH PATH" and "END SEARCH PATH" don't work when the statement starts with "\\" and the path is at least two folders distant from the part files, e.g.:

CONTAINER
RELATIVE
ABSOLUTE

BEGIN SEARCH PATH
\\server\engineering\
END SEARCH PATH

In this example, only parts in the "engineering" folder could be found. Its subfolders are not considered.

The suggested workaround is using a simpler path that does not start with "\\", like a mapped network drive, for instance. Let's suppose the "enginnering" folder is mapped as "Z:". Following the example below:

CONTAINER
RELATIVE
ABSOLUTE

BEGIN SEARCH PATH
Z:\
END SEARCH PATH

This way, the subfolders are considered normally and the assembly links are fixed correctly.

Best regards,

Edjalma Vala

22 REPLIES

Re: LinkMgmt.txt workaround in Solid Edge ST8

You should consider using MAP instead of SEARCH.

MAP provides much better performance than SEARCH.

To use MAP add the following section into the LinkMgmt.txt file:

BEGIN MAP
C:\_IR_Files\7660\7660150\test_assembly\child_1
\\gbcby02\merritt$\7660150\test_assembly\child_2
END MAP

Where the first line is the missing folder location, and the second line is the folder location you want to replace it with.

If you have multiple folders you wish to map continuing adding them as pairs in the MAP section e.g.

BEGIN MAP
<first missing folder location to be replaced>
<first folder location to replace it with>

<second missing folder location to be replaced>
<second folder location to replace it with>

etc...
END MAP

[ Edited ]

Please explain how linkmgmt is used.

Is it related in function to foldermap.txt?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP3 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Really MAP provides a much better performance than SEARCH , but then after consulting GTAC I found a call saying that this function is not working properly in ST8 version.

" Siemens PLM Believes que the problem you where Reported LinkMgmt.txt MAP not working with ST8 will be resolved by code changes made ​​to the release of our product Solid Edge version ST8 MP7 . "

For this reason I tested this way not to replace the function of the software, but actually to solve the problem .

When Solid Edge can't find the parts used in an assembly, the link between them breaks. It's possible to use the file LinkMgmt.txt in C:\Program Files\Solid Edge ST8\Preferences.

When you open this file, you can type the paths where Solid Edge can search for missing parts when assemblies are open. For instance:

CONTAINER
RELATIVE
ABSOLUTE

BEGIN SEARCH PATH

\\server

END SEARCH PATH

The statement between "BEGIN SEARCH PATH" and "END SEARCH PATH" is the path, and it can be more than one. In this case, if Solid Edge can't find the parts, it will use the file to look for the missing files and.

To use the LinkMgmt, you have to open or create a new assembly file and follow the steps:

1. Press the Application Button;

2. Click Solid Edge Options;

3. Click File Locations (left tab);

4. Double click on Link management;

5. Find and open the LinkMgmt file at the C:\Program Files\Solid Edge ST8\Preferences folder;

6. Click OK where asked;

7. Close the file and open the assembly again.

Best regards,

Willian Tomazini

[ Edited ]

@evala I am familiar with the problem with MAP not working  as I worked the PR.  However, just because the functionality is temporarily broken does not mean that the method or usage is invalidated.  MAP is a far superior solution over SEARCH.  If you need to test MAP in MP6, I have a dll I can provide to you.  PM your details if you need this.

The documentation on using LinkMgmt.txt can be found here.

The important thing to note when using SEARCH is that Solid Edge will start at the bottom of the search list and work it's way up the list until it resolves a link.  Therefore you can improve the SEARCH performance by judicious ordering of your SEARCH paths.

I have always believed that using the LinkMgmt.txt file is not a permanent solution.

By that I mean that links are not updated, and if you remove the use of the file the links will be broken again.

Could anyone please confirm that this is the case, and that if you want to change the links you should use Redefine Links in Rev Manager (or is there another way?)

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

@beachcomber it is perfectly acceptable to run with LinkMgmt.txt permanently.  What happens if IT decides to reorganize the file structure and you have 100,000+ Solid Edge files?  In such a scenario, it would not be an acceptable solution to run massive amounts of files through Revision Manager.

If you use LinkMgmt.txt to resolve and find missing files in an assembly, then *save* the assembly, the links are then updated.  This means that you could then delete the LinkMgmt.txt file and the assembly will still open successfully.

@uk_dave - The only reason I could see for not using it permanently is the slow-down as SE searches the designated paths - unless it doesn't bother once the links are corrected.

I have used it many times in the past, but never successfully got it to save the new links - that is my reason for asking.
I notice you say *save* - is that a special sort of save or the standard one ?  Smiley Wink

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.