Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: LinkMgmt.txt workaround in Solid Edge ST8

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Save is save -- I simply highlighted the fact that unless you save the file the resolved links will not be *permanently* updated.

And yes, there is the potential for a performance impact which is why MAP is a better solution to use than SEARCH.

I cannot speak for earlier versions of Solid Edge, but I tested both SEARCH and MAP in ST8 to confirm if the links would be permanently updated once saved before posting that it worked.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Once the Linkmgmt.txt file is set, use the OpenSave utility to save them with their correct links.

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP5, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Solution Partner Experimenter Solution Partner Experimenter
Solution Partner Experimenter
Ok @uk_dave I understand your comments . Already performed the tests in MP6 .

I'm not reporting that the MAP function is slower , actually I agree with you it is faster.

But for instance, if you do not exactly know which folder indicate in LinkMgmt.txt file or have an assembly with components in different folders.

Using the MAP I resolve the links if I do not know exactly where it is ?

In our application we did not know exactly which folders were files and using Search the assembly links was corrected.

There is a consideration for the use parts with duplicate names can interfere with the results .

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

What is the "OpenSave utility " vs. just saving the file?

Is this an external to SE process after the file has already been saved?

It's in the custom folder and my understanding is it's a utility to bring files up to the current SE version.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

@12GAGE As Bruce has said it is in the Custom folder and it has a few different functions around batch opening and saving files.  So if you had alot of files with bad links due to randomly moved files, you could get your Linkmgmt.txt file set and the use the OpenSave utility to fix the links by it opening and saving each file in a folder structure in batch.

If the files were part of a structured move, or the result of a server name change, then redefine links is the way to go, but you must have the old path and the new path but it works in batch mode also.

Ken

@KennyG My (very possibly faulty) understanding is that Insight managed SE doesn't use the linkmgmt.txt file although unmanaged would. I asked this before but is foldermap.txt the analog to linkmgmt.txt in the managed environment?

Bruce Shand

@bshand You are right that Insight does not use the Linkmgmt.txt file but instead finds moved files natively, and even files that have been renamed!.  The job of the foldermap.txt is when importing unmanaged files into Insight and maps unmanaged file locations to the corresponding Insight managed location.

Ken

@KennyG,

Makes sense, in fact I just used foldermap for the first time in an extensive way to restore a large assembly to our database. Rather a PITA, actually.
Anyway, to take issue with your statement that Insight will find files that have been renamed in the case of doing so outside of the "system" of SE, RevMan, Sharepoint and such. Files moved around with Win Explorer, for example, can become problematic in terms of broken links even if done within and between the sql folders although some have argued otherwise.

Bruce Shand

@bshand Insight is reliant on that SEDocID.  If that gets duplicated because of a copy or removed because of a move, then you will have issues.  And I beleive that there is an issue of indexing...  If you attempt to open a file with links that were recently moved/renamed and they haven't been indexed yet, then you will also have problems, but if you wait a while then you won't have a problem.

Ken