Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: LinkMgmt.txt workaround in Solid Edge ST8

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello, thread bump time.....

We are working with unmanaged files and have the need to copy an old project of SE files.  The old project folder structure is not ideal, therefore we wish to create a more logical folder structure and copy SE drafts, assemblies and parts to them.  Some assemblies reference other assemblies in adjacent folders.

We can of course use revision manager but this would be quite laborious.  I am therefore considering using the LinkMgmt file to control things.

My approach is to use the MAP function.  So for example We move a complete folder to the top level in our new project folder and then create another sub folder in order to place a number of sub-assemblies in.  How would I approach this using the MAP function?

Does MAP work implicitly as described between the matching pairs?  or does it work in conjunction with the CONTAINER, RELATIVE function?

Does it work this way?  (Bold is what would be in the link file)

Example A:   

Old folder:  Z:\Project_A\Machine_1\machine_subA.asm

New folder: Z:\Project_B\Machine_1\Device_A\machine_subA.asm

or

Does it work this way?  

Example B:   

Old folder:  Z:\Project_A\Machine_1\machine_subA.asm

New folder: Z:\Project_B\Machine_1\

In this example would SE then search down from that level in the sub-folders for the assembly machine_subA.asm?

I am going to test but if I can draw upon the experience of the group it would be helpful.

Thanks,

Guy

CAD/CAE Manager
SE2019 MP5

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

EDIT:  Well the issue is that the engineer in question had not updated as instructed and was still on MP4.  It is working with MP9 now.

Well it's not even working as I expect (or at all) with ST8 MP9.

Moved an assembly and all part with the exception of one part which sits in a different folder adjacent to the top level assembly. I used the LinkMgmt file to tell SE to look in the new project folder structure for the missing part and it cant find it.

Thanks,
Guy

CAD/CAE Manager
SE2019 MP5

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Would anybody be able to comment/help me with my understanding here?

Can anybody explain how SE is managing to resolve an assembly and find sub-assemblies/parts when the folder they reside in has been renamed and it doesn't sit below or even on the same server as the top level assembly? Something is happening that I'm not fully understanding at the moment.

Thanks,
Guy

CAD/CAE Manager
SE2019 MP5

Builder
Builder

Guy

I dont think your the only one.  I'd like to understand this better also and need educating.  From my limited understanding however I beleive the Top assy and Files in it container folder would still resolve ok independant of "server", however its more about the level above your sub level that would not be able to resolve document links as document links are resolved in a downward direction and following the container, relative, absolute link management txt file.  

But thats just MHO....

ST9
WIN 7Pro 64bit
DELL T5810 3.7-4Ghz 32Gb ECC

Phenom
Phenom

Just my opinion but having multiple folders for parts and assemblies within a single project is always going to end up causing problems - except seperate folders for standard parts of course.

The project I am working on has many sub-folders and its a nightmare to control and find stuff.

I will guarantee that eventually you will end up with parts of an assembly scattered across multiple folders, and possibly duplicated parts.

It is so much easier to have everything in one folder - get hold of it in revision manager and copy the lot easily.

Edit: I have never found the link managment file to be a permanent solution - I have been told it is, and when you save your files everything will be correct (assuming it has found everything) and you can then continue without it. I'm not convinced, and always use revision manager.

If you open your top level assembly in RM what does it show ?

What is missing and where is it looking?

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
SE2019 MP5 on Windows 10 Pro 64.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I agree on the one folder idea, however i can't do that because I work w/ assembly driven sheet metal, each assembly has parts w/ the same names (B1=Body1, S1 = stiffener 1, F1 = baffle 1 etc...). 

Until I can can automate the name of the parts as a funtion of the assembly name, my files mule live in different directories. 

If you ask why I don't just rename each file, there are other factors at work. I also use the part file names to name variables in the draft file, about 10 veriable per part. There is no way I'm manually updating that naming.