Linking Centre of Rectangle to Origin of Plane

Hi, I need the centre of a rectangle cross section to always be linked to a the centre of a specific plane in my sketch. Note that the position of this custom plane follows a layout sketch dimension, which is the input for my model. Thanks!

19 REPLIES

Betreff: Linking Centre of Rectangle to Origin of Plane

Hi @khzf1991

if I have understodd You correctly, the standard rectangle with center point - You find that in the profil/sketch environement exactly does what You were asking for.

Create the rectangle using Your wanted center and the function itself genereates a horicontal/vertical relationship to that point.

Have a look wether or not Your relations are set to permanent.

regards
Wolfgang

Yes, my question with regards to that centre is how to reference the centre point or the origin of a custom plane, to link it permanently to that point.

Hi @khzf1991

sorry when I'm doing so hard to understand, but this is done automatically by the rectangle function of SE.

20170326_1559.PNG

As mentioned before, please see wether Your relations are set to permanent or not.

This is important!

You must see the shwon relations horcontal and vertical after creating the rectangle.

regards
Wolfgang

Re: Linking Centre of Rectangle to Origin of Plane

[ Edited ]

Hi there @khzf1991,

If I understand you correctly, you would be better also placing/using coordinate system[s] within your 3D environment to base geometry from, in lieu of other formal geometry to tether relationships to.

Planes themselves are user definable in terms of sizing & location, so do not have an actual hard fixed center point.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Re: Linking Centre of Rectangle to Origin of Plane

I agree with Sean. A reference plane does not seem to have a 'selectable' keypoint, so a coordinate system based on some real geometry is your best bet to tie it to the center of a rectangle.

[ Edited ]

Hi,

as long as You look orthogonal onto Your reference plane You also can select the "mid point".

But be aware, that the plane itself could be changed simply pulling the plane corner points.

OK, the sketch will stay in  relation to the plane center but it will be hard to define it exactly.

As @Tushar mentioned and as I tell to our engineers and trainee, I personally prefer coordinate systems instead of the old reference planes.

There are 7 good reasons for that:

• One coordinate systems has 3 orthogonal planes 
    So You need not to create an orthognal if necessary
  • One CS also has 3 axis, You can use as center or rotantional axis everywhere in the model space
    and
  • One CS also has an origin point for dimensions, refernces and so on.

So with simply one single object You have 7 references to use!

And here is a video showing the use of the plane with mid point:

regards
Wolfgang

[ Edited ]

@hawcad

Nice video, I did not know this before.

I am however still looking for a way to find the mid (i.e. center) of a ref-plane and 'hook' to it, following which resizing the plane will not matter. I have this requirement for some programming tasks also. So some API will be even better.

If I pick a ref-plane for sketching and view it Ctrl+H, not able to pick the mid of a side as you have shown in the video.

Regards,

Tushar

Hi @Tushar

simple question:

The mid point is activated in "IntelliSketch"?

20170327_1018.PNG

regards
Wolfgang

[ Edited ]

Hi @hawcad

I think there is some mis-communication between our replies.

I fully agree with and understand your line:

hawcad wrote:

as long as You look orthogonal onto Your reference plane You also can select the "mid point".

It appears that it is not possible to snap to the edge of a plane "while" sketching in the same plane (Ctrl+H).

I had some hopes since there can be handles to drag the ref-plane while resizing it but seems that they are meant only for resizing and not for referencing.

I would ideally like to reference the magenta spheres of Plane6 below and think this is also the same what the OP intends:

PSnap2.png

And, yes! the midpoint is checked ON.

~Tushar