Linking a parts table

Creator
Creator

I have deleted my view that was linked with my parts table...is there anyway to link the existing table with a new view? Also, once I insert a view is there anyway to change it's orientation?

10 REPLIES

Re: Linking a parts table

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The parts list should still be linked although existing annotations will be disconnected.

As far as changing view orientation once inserted, no, unless you have saved PMI views in the model.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

Sure. Just re-create the parts list and point to the new view. All other bubbles with items numbers in the draft will automatically update to the current item number if there is only one parts list in the draft.

I don't use multiple parts lists (many do). I'm not sure what happens in that case.

This is the reason I only use a single format for parts lists and set up the modeling/part/assembly files in a way that they all can feed a single format of parts list.

I base all of my work flow on that concept.

The "Gotcha" in this work flow is "R1" is the first inserted view of a draft. I'm now in the habit of inserting the first view off the page and leaving it forever so that the assembly (not any flat pattern views) is the first view inserted into draft. Then one can display information about the assembly using the "R1" reference.

There is no way to repair "R1" if that first view is ever deleted.

This also provides a drafting work a round for no "Graphic connection to assembly" R1 must be maintained as the reference to the assembly being drafted.

You must be a previous SolidWorks user because SW can do both of these! But from what I can tell, NO you cannot link part views to a parts list once they have been placed nor change the view of an existing view once it has been placed.

EDIT:

However, I just seen in ST9, you will have tha ability to change a view orientation after placement the same way it is done in SW.

Owner: Scott Lester Drafting & Design
Designer: Rotork Instuments

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@scott_lester

I don't know what you're saying here: (but I think I disagreeSmiley Happy

"But from what I can tell, NO you cannot link part views to a parts list once they have been placed".

But as to this: "nor change the view of an existing view once it has been placed."

That is not true. As I said, if you save PMI views in the model you can set views to display them. This can include orientation as well as diplay configuration.

Bruce Shand

meaning  you placed a view as a "front" view and then proceeded to create projected views from that. 

Then go back and have the ability to click on that view and change which view primary view it is (left, right, top, back, etc...).  Yes you can do with a lot of configuration or PMI setup, but out of the box up until ST9, Solid Edge does now allow you to click on a view and change which primary view it's representing and change all the projected views to the new primary view you set.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

1) Hmmm, I don't see what defining views has  to do with parts lists.

2) I didn't see changing all views as part of the original question.

Bruce Shand

I have deleted my view that was linked with my parts table...is there anyway to link the existing table with a new view? Also, once I insert a view is there anyway to change it's orientation?"

^^His original question

Phenom
Phenom

I don't understand why you cant just add the view you want and add the part's lists to the new view?

What problems are created with that way of working?

(Assuming you are not using R1 to get annotation)

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I don't really understand the issue folks seem to be having with parts lists and views. If a view is deleted after the parts list is placed and the model is still linked to the draft then there should be no problem.

Bruce Shand