Gears Esteemed Contributor

My 2cents: browser/shmowser.

1) SE functionality  2)Help content.......... n)Help portability

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP4 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Re: Links are opened in Interent Explorer instead of default web browser

Legend
Legend
Microsoft has already stated that the next version of Edge will run on the chromium platform and that IE will not be in the next major update to Windows 10. The dev team needs to get this fixed in the next year.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@nanan00 I've heard news that MS was replacing the web rendering engine in Edge with Chromium, but have not heard any official statement from MS that they were removing IE 11 from future builds of Windows 10.

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP4, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@nanan00  then Microsoft needs to get their story straight because from the Microsoft Internet Explorer page:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsforbusiness/end-of-ie-support

2019-01-23 17_36_52-Internet Explorer End of Support for Older Versions _ Windows for Business.png

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks for getting an ER created, @uk_dave.  It will be interesting to see how the Enhancement Request plays out.

You've given me the ER# but I don't know the title.  Please create a post to call attention to it, or tell me the title so I can do that.

I apologize for going 'round and 'round on this, I just can't see any valid reason to use IE.

I speculate that using IE is a holdover from years and years ago that nobody has gotten around to fixing.

I also speculate that a web team takes care of all SE webpages and the documentation team is only focused on the content which they submit to the web team.

This is really a minor issue for a piece of software that is capable of creating plans for anything from a nano sized medical implant to an aircraft carrier.

As a brand new Academic Version user, I'm impressed by how respectfully I've been treated.

The few posts that vented or threw in asides instead of discussing solutions, did so more or less tastefully, and never directed anything towards me.

And for my own aside:

Coming from a Fusion 360 (I hope I'm not blackballed for mentioning it...) to a platform which is an industry giant (instead of a hobbyist gateway to Inventor -- oops, another slip?), I can understand why Siemens hasn't focused on beginner instruction and documentation.

I think most SE users learned CAD at a university and that SE's ease of use is for speed of use, not to accommodate hobbyists and those unfamiliar with CAD. 

Plus SE partners with many resellers who provide instruction and support for their clients.  This creates a personally motivated support system that is probably more flexible and responsive than top down support.  It would be wrong for SE to compete with their resellers, and could hurt the overall support available to end users.

I can already see that this forum will be able to answer and explain anything that I can't work out myself.  My responsibility to other forum members is to thoroughly attempt to figure things out on my own before asking about them, and to explain things to others, when I'm able to help them through something.

Again, I'm impressed with the respect I've received as new user on a free license.  Hopefully my use will parlay into SE getting more paid seats and me being able to assist other users.

Thanks for everybody's posts in this thread.

Aug, a maker @ the Curious Forge Makerspace
Highlighted

Phenom
Phenom