Listing Dimensons of parts in part list/BOM

Builder
Builder

Hi. I am interested in creating a BOM that not only lists basic info of each respective part in a assembly but also displays the largest x,y,z dims of the respective parts, for the purpose of ordering steel blocks to have machined later, rather than going back dimensioning each part and writing it down. Any ideas how to accomplish this?

14 REPLIES

Re: Listing Dimensons of parts in part list/BOM

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

See if the attached make any sense. I can flesh out any specific questions.

This just shows one "length" variable but you can add the other two dims. And you can call the variables anything you like.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi,

also here a can refer to one of my free macros - the "MainDims"

I think, I talked about it a time ago.

Everything is controlled within the INI files.

There You will also find the information (in English too) how to use it.

If there are any questions don't hesitate to ask.

The idea behind was, to define, which inforamtions and dimensions You will take over to props.

If there is not defined any dimension for use in MainDim then the x,y,z block arround the part will be taken.

You also can define raw materials addons to every side and dim to also get the raw material dimensions and therefore a raw materila weight too.

Have a look and a test wether it is what You are looking for.

regards

Wolfgang

regards
Wolfgang

Legend
Legend

Hawcad's macro works for plates made as .par files.

Another rout is to make the plate items as .psm sheetmetal files, the dims you want are generated as part of the flat part and can be referenced.

Being able to call out the dims on a bom full of mixed stuff is where I am still having issues as the partslist is all or nothing.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi,

the MainDim macro is usable for PSM too.

There is another INI file Sheetlaser.ini where those parameters and options are defined.

When detecting that the document is a PSM, then the sheetlaser addon automatically is used too.

So therefore You get the plain dimensions of the sheet too if wanted, as well as all the sheet laser infos like cutting length, etc.

And to mention, the macro works with ASM too.

But here it is necessary, to define the wanted main dimenison for properties.

regards

Wolfgang

regards
Wolfgang

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@nanan00

"as the partslist is all or nothing."

What do you mean by that?

Bruce Shand

Legend
Legend

As far as I know SE doesn't use if/case or any other conditional capabilities in the parts list that would permit looking at different variables to determine which would be the right one for one row or another. Not everything on the parts list is plate, bolts and such do not have thickness, width, and length etc.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Not totally sure I understand but:

If you have added, for example, a column each for width, length and depth, and you have named and exposed the variables in the parts you want this data for, those part entries in the bom will populate the columns. Other parts will not. Is that a problem?

But now that I reread the original question I see that he asks "largest x,y,z dim" meaning that he wants the system to auto detect and select for the parts list and yeah, that ain't gonna happen. My "solution" requires some up-front work on the parts. So sorry for not "getting it". Hope a macro works.

Bruce Shand

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi edgers,

let me explain one additional info regarding MainDims

I've build my macro in that way, that You can create one single proeprty within the 3D documents (that mean parts, psm and asm) with one certain name, e.g. MainDim

This text property can be build out of various single items like widthm, height, length, diameter, etc.

In the INI file You may define which value should be preferable taken to build the prop.

In the bom You then may take this property for showing the needed infos.

And of course, the macros takes care for PSM parts to use the flat size and/or the bended size instead.

If there are any qusetions, don't hesitate to ask

regards

Wolfgang

regards
Wolfgang

Legend
Legend

Do you need to do something differently in psm and assembly files? I just tried it and nothing seemed to happen.