Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local SE Help Server has stopped again

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi Edgers,

now I have seen the same behaviour at a customers installation where a local SE help server could not start the service again after approx. 3 weeks of working.

So the big question here also will be:

"What does happen here?"

What could be the reason(s) that a service is not able to further run on a windows machine.

As similar to that what I was able to see on my notebook a couple of weeks ago, some updates prevent this service to be started correctly.

My first candidate therefore is the Java RT which seems to be needed this version 8.1.4 from the Siemens server.

But I cannot guarantee that I will or can keep this java version as long as I am running the SE help pages locally.

I hope that here is somebody who can enlight me and can give the right hint to solve this.

regards
Wolfgang
2 REPLIES

Re: Local SE Help Server has stopped again

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Java by default will always install a TSR to check for the latest Java version and then try to install it -- I personally ALWAYS disable the Java version update check. It is also possible to manually install multiple versions of Java and point different applications to run different versions of Java as needed.

To be honest, I haven't really worked with the local Help server much to date but it is certainly something I would be interested into looking at further once back in the office on Monday.

Re: Local SE Help Server has stopped again

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @uk_dave 

Thanks for a further Investigation and thanks also for the hint with the disabled Java Update.

Totally  win10 focused, I have forgotten this option. 

I hope,  I will find it. 

regards
Wolfgang