Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Locating Holes on a Face

Creator
Creator
Well I have a few precious minutes right now but my laptop is down. I cannot connect to the internet. Running system restore and typing this on my phone.

The service pack mentioned was said to be from last November IIRC and I bought the laptop in February so I assumed the SP was in the free trial install. No? I did not re-install after making the first month's purchase.

How exactly do I check, if and when system restore ever finishes? To be clear, this is a SP for SE, not windows, correct?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Driver,

Solid Edge is distributed as a "base" install, ie; with no patches applied.

If you go to the "Learn Solid Edge" tab.....

2016-04-20 (5).png

Then click on the "About Solid Edge" link....it will display a series of numbers, in my case 108.00.06.004, the "06" is the maintenance pack [MP6] version.

2016-04-20 (6).png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP8] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Creator
Creator

Sean, I really appreciate the help.

But the image you show is a lot different than what I see.

I open SE, and before I open a file, there is in fact a box in the upper right corner that  contains the text "Learn Solid Edge'. But it is not a clickable link. There are three boxes below that that are clickable: 'Choose a Learning Path' , User Interface Basics' & 'Search Help' . Each of those bring up browser pages, they are not part of the program as your image appears to be. I expect that it needs to be part of the program if I want to inquire abut the installation of the program. Any other software, there would be an 'about' menu.

I see you have a file open. So I open a file. I see no way to get the right-hand box I see in your image.

I have tried everything I can think of to find an 'about' menu, but no joy. I see a vertical bar on the right edge of my part file with icons that each bring up pop-up boxes such as Feature Library,  Family of Parts, etc.

Maybe someday something in SE will come easy for me, but so far it is fighting me every step of the way. Why is it so hard to find an 'about' menu?

Creator
Creator

I am well past the time I had for this tonight. I look forward to banging my head against this software in the morning. Thanks again.

Hi @Driver,

Depending on how you have the UI set out [theme], it may be turned off......

If you'd like it on, then open a new, or existing design file, go to the View tab, then on the left side, in the Show group....expand the drop down list to select any of those required.

If you wish to leave it switched off, you should see the small purple "Help" icon.....click that and it should open to the same "Learn Solid Edge" panel, giving the link at the top right for "About Solid Edge", where the build number is displayed.

Which version of SE subscription did you get...? [Design & Drafting / Foundation / Classic / Premium] ...at $100 you mentioned, I'm assuming that would indicate D&D.

Actually, subscription comes with support package also, so to me, that means you should then also then have access to the most current maintenance packs, during your license period.

Did you get a support email address or link.....I would hit that up, with a request for an MP6 download link. [normally most of us here access the GTAC server and download these directly, but not sure if the same is offered to subscription users - my second seat is subscription, but I don't recall what info was provided way back then, plus it was early days of subscription availability too, so could be different now also]

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP8] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

@Driver I'm not sure what and how the trial is delivered and I believe you may have had a couple options when choosing to do the trial.  Solid Edge Maintenance Pack 3 required you to also insure that the Windows 10 November Update was also installed, so there was 2 things... a Solid Edge Patch and a Windows Patch.  I'm guessing Windows was automatic, but it depends on how you have Windows Update set up.

As @SeanCresswell said, if the Help Pane is ON, there will be a tab on one either the right or left side titled "Learn Solid Edge".  If it is not, in the upper right in line with the Ribbon tabs, you will see the following circled icon (a book with a question mark on it) which when clicked will open the Help Pane on which the "About Solid Edge" is located.

2016-04-20_8-19-21.png

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP8, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com
Highlighted

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

A tip to help speed up dimensioning while placing synchronous holes is to use E, C, and M on your keyboard. After locking onto a face (either click the lock symbol or press F3 when over a face) you can mouse over an edge of the part and press E on your keyboard. This will start a dimension from the endpoint. If you go over the same edge a second time and press E again, you'll get a second dimension. This can also be done from the centerpoint of an arc or circle. If you press M on the keyboard, this will snap you to the midpoint of an edge but will not create a dimension from there. 

(view in My Videos)

Creator
Creator
I got my system restore done and got online briefly.

Offline, I found the about menu and my version number.

Then my wonderful new laptop with the state of the art OS crashed and I need to do another system restore.

So I am again on my phone and out of time.

More later, if I can get and stay on line I think I know what to do.

Thanks all for the help. I am not making this stuff up. This laptop has been a nightmare from the beginning.

Creator
Creator

Unable to find anything in the emails from Siemens, unable to find  link to the service pack from within the software, unable to find a link from the help menu, unable to talk to a human at the 800 number, I run a google search and find something.

It's a list of update associated with the Nov 17 2015 release

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Forum/Solid-Edge-ST8-Maintenance-Pack-3-A...

Do I need to download all of these?

Yes I read carefully. They do not write carefully. PROVIDE INSTRUCTIONS!!!!

Yes, I read carefully. Maybe they could try to write carefully. There are no actual instructions on what needs to be done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So to review, a critical update needs to be installed. It has been around for months but is not incorporated into the latest install. No notice is given that it needs to be done. It is hidden within th

Creator
Creator

. . . and the text editor on the forums mishandles the back key

hidden update . . . 

no instructions

Myy patience with Siemens is nearing its limit!