Solved! Go to solution

Locating Holes on a Face

This is a serious question. I am not an idiot, OK? I have thousands of hours on multiple CAD systems.

I am trying to put holes where they need to go. I want to dimension them from the edges of the face they are placed on. I cannot believe this is an issue.

I have tried help menus and tutorials and searching the forums and have spent way WAY too much time trying to get this most basic of tasks done.

I am on a laptop running Windows 10. I know, I know, I had no choice. This is the only solid modeling software I could find and afford and you only run on Windows, right?

I drew a c-channel cross-section and extruded it. I go to place holes. I cannot enter the dimensions before the hole is placed. I select the "Smart Dimension' command but it is in fact stupid. I try the distance between version, same thing. I am not locating aligned with an endpoint or center point. I try the shift key. No matter what I do, I can only reference one edge. Thus I am unable to locate the hole in two dimensions. I try every syntax of clicking and selecting I can think of. I try moving the cursor to all conceivable locations relative to the hole. I try placing the hole on the opposite face. NO JOY!

One of the hype, er excuse me, help menus tells me to lock to face, using an icon on the command bar. No such icon appears.

I have a very demanding job and only am able to carve out occasional chunks of time to use this software, get my design done, and get prototypes made. I need software that works. Please help me before I go insane.

Thank you.

Bob

34 REPLIES

Re: Locating Holes on a Face

[ Edited ]

Hi there @Driver,

Before I continue,...are you trying to use Ordered or Synchronous mode?

It sounds to me, like you might be following instructions for Sync, but trying to apply it to an Ordered workflow....as it is, in other software.

The general method you say you're using, sounds about right, but there are clearly some minor steps being glossed over, in order to achieve the result you desire.

I also suggest you might try working through the included tutorials.....found here, to get used to what Solid Edge is expecting as user input, to obtain a result.

2016-04-18.png

Attached is a quick'n'dirty C-channel I just put together [need ST8 to open] in Synchronous mode....try messing with it's sizes, and see if you can get it closer to what you need.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Thank you for the reply. I sent you an email because this reply did not show up in my browser right away and I thought you hadn't actually replied to the thread.

I opened your file and the same problem exists.

I place a hole on the web of your c-channel.

I can create a dimension and modify the value of the hole in one direction only.

Please don't tell me to read every single possible reference and take every **bleep** tutorial that might conceivably relate to the issue. I don't have time. I found the relevant help topic, it tells me how wonderful and useful the software is, but fails utterly to actually provide a procedure to actually do any of the wonderful things promised. It is hype, not help.

I am not trying to do anything fancy here. I am just trying to locate some **bleep** holes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If this software cannot locate holes on a face in a reasonably intuitive fashion, Siemens can keep the $100 and I will find another way. I will fricking do it with pencil and paper if I have to.

Please please please do NOT tell me to spend MORE time getting up to speed. Someone please just tell me how this simple task is actually done.

Thank you.

[ Edited ]

@Driver,

Well perhaps you need to be using "Ordered" mode, try switching to that modelling method in Solid Edge Options > Helpers.....

2016-04-18 (1).png

That is probably more inline with what you're expecting of the software.

If can offer an operational "Tip"....glance at the "PromptBar" before the next step Solid Edge is waiting for, and some handy options within that step will be there also.

2016-04-18 (5).png

Try working with the "Ordered" version of that C-channel......as attached.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Driver
‎04-18-2016 01:54 AM

[ Edited ]

Placing a hole and setting its distance from a reference edge cannot get easier and intuitive than what is seen in the video down below.

I placed the hole on the web portion and proceed with the Distance Between command to pick the hole edge first and then the reference edge. I tapped the 'n' key on the keyboard multiple times to select the desired orientation for the dimension in 3D space.

Finally I clicked the dimension to edit it right at the cursor location and each time specify which side should move - the hole itself or the reference edge - the last part being beauty of Synchronous Technology.

Hope you don't fail to see it too.

I'd suggest, don't give up too soon Bob. Here's an entire Solid Edge community to help you out with the toughest challenges. The one you posted was a basic question - a low hanging fruit for a programer like me; for the real experts are yet to kick in - the only exception being Sean from New Zealand who has the 'unfair' Smiley Wink advantage of having the sun rise earlier than the rest of world so the rest are left with tackling the left-over stuff.

Thanks @SeanCresswell for the part file.

~Tushar

>I tapped the n key on the keyboard multiple times . . . . 

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

AN ACTUAL ANSWER! It works, as I knew it must.

I do not believe that was mentioned anywhere on any of the help or tutorial answers. Even if it was, it is FAR from intuitive.

Kudos to you, sir. I can now hope to actually accomplish something when I next get a chance to work on my project. 

[ Edited ]

You are welcome Bob.

Glad that a casual remark about the n key helped you out.

Also, no need to spend much time with the help files unless you are on a learning track, especially when short on time. The help files sure are a treasure trove.

The Solid Edge forum works 24x7 discussing your specific problems.

~Tushar

Please allow me to vent a bit more. This has been an issue for me for decades now: programmers are so convinced that their software is intuitive that they become incapable of hearing that it isn't.

Even when you answer the question, you attribute it to a 'casual remark'! THAT WAS THE KEY PIECE OF MISSING INFORMATION! A video (which does not show the n key being pressed) was not required, nor were veiled remarks as to my inabilty to be intuitive. After getting the answer, I make the claim that the key step was never presented, and you blow it off. Am I right or not? Can you not conceive that there might be an opportunity to make an improvement?

To answer the question, all you needed to do was slow down and observe yourself racing thru a well-ingrained procedure and compare that to what I said I was doing. I said nothing about the n key. Voila! there's the problem.

I truly apologize for what you no doubt see as a bad attitude, but in fact I am trying to be helpful. I have fought this same battle countless times.

If the user cannot make it work, but you know it does work, IT IS NOT INTUITIVE!! Clinging to that notion is a waste of everyone's time. What is your definition of intuitive?

I am sorry and thankful and trying to help.

[ Edited ]

Hi Bob:

My intention on this forum is to primarily provide technical answers to queries and I do at times use ornamental language with lots of praise and least criticism for Solid Edge.

The usage of the word 'Intuitive' should be seen as part of this habit of mine and I do not know a way to always defend what I said, perhaps I was bit overwhelmed.

Please don't take my comment to mean as if I was trying to prove you false over the 'intuitive' part.

You might just be right with your own observation and supporting justifications but then some one from Siemens might be interested in battling this out.

My guess is they have noted it and will implement your suggestion in the next release.

~Tushar

Thank you, that is more than fair.

When I next get a chance, I am going to see if the n key instruction is missing or if I missed it. BTW yesterday was my third effort to get holes located. SE on Win10 has been a bit of a nightmare so far. Mostly because of Windows of course.

In the meantime I gotta go back to my lousy job that I am trying to escape using SE to convert ideas in my head into products on shelves.