Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Locating Holes on a Face

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@Driver What version of Solid Edge are you using?

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP8, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Creator
Creator
ST8 on brand new Toshiba laptop running Windows 10

@Driver, I'm assuming you have the latest service pack installed as Windows 10 was not supported in ST8 until Service Pack 3 with the required Windows 10 November refresh installed.

I would also suggest you record and post a video of what you are trying to do for future issues as it leaves no doubt as to what you are trying to do.  Record button is in the lower right of the window (round red button).  I was having trouble tring to "see" what you were having trouble with in regards to the dimensioning...

Ken

Legend
Legend
I've been using SE for many years, in fact since before sync. and I still use ordered for holes most of the time. I like to be able to pin the holes to a center line and you can't do that in sync. I like to start a pattern of holes by putting the pattern in an ordered sketch and then pining the hole to the pattern.

If you need a simple pattern you can make a line sketch in sync and pin ordered holes to it. Then you can do sync edits to the line sketch and the holes move with it. Best of both worlds. I don't think you'll find that in a tutorial!
Using SE since V12, 2002
ST10 certified

MLombard
Retired

@lking wrote:
... you can do sync edits to the line sketch and the holes move with it. Best of both worlds. I don't think you'll find that in a tutorial!

Or you might, never know...Smiley Happy

Yeah, the combination of sync sketches with ordered features is pretty cool.

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

Legend
Legend
I think an important thing as a beginner, especially if you are "self training", is to check this forum often for ideas to use the software better. I can't tell you how many cool tips I've gleaned here and in the old newsgroup. (Newsgroup? What's that?).
Using SE since V12, 2002
ST10 certified

@Driver wrote:
Please allow me to vent a bit more. This has been an issue for me for decades now: programmers are so convinced that their software is intuitive that they become incapable of hearing that it isn't.

All good, and we are all allowed to vent a little, when things go awry, but, just keep in mind, that MOST of those that are commenting here, are users much like yourself, and they are offering their view, or assistance, base solely on how questions are conveyed here.

I'll point out from my previous reply, again......make sure you look at & read the information on the "Prompt Bar"....you'd have found the intuitive assistance there, in particular, for the "N" key during feature placement.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP8] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Creator
Creator
I desperately and intently watched the prompt bar from the beginning . It utterly fails in this case. So does the only tutorial that deigns to address such a mundane task.

The only mention of the n key is to change the plane. It tells the user to use the shift key for 'horizontal/vertical'. In fact, to get a dimension in the orthogonal direction other than the default chosen seemingly randomly by the software, I have to use the shift and n key simultaneously. And even then I cannot obtain two mutually orthogonal dimensions in the plane normal to the hole axis and oriented to the face edges. Pressing the shift key by itself has no effect.

I would record a video but it has already been shown on this thread that recorded videos do not show the keys pressed and icons clicked.

I have marked this question as answered but in reality all I've got is an awkward work around.

I am not posting here to hassle fellow users. I have a job to do that is of the upmost importance in my life and I am stymied by this utterly fundamental and basic task. The very first release of AutoCad could at least locate holes on a plane without this much drama.

Might I ask that someone, maybe even an employee of Siemens, actually do what I describe and methodically figure out what the heck is going on? Windows 10! !!

I repeat: pressing the shift key has no effect except when used with the n key, which takes me out of the plane the dimension belongs in.

Creator
Creator
Ok hold on I got it working. Apparently if the file has not been saved recently enough this functionality goes away.

If I press and hold the shift key, it works. When I was trying it while writing the previous post, nothing would happen. Many many attempts to use the shift key never worked. I hope it works next time!

@Driver the reason I suggest a video, especially for this case, it so that we may see any special circumstances that would cause your issue.  In the case of Holes on a rectangular face, you should not have had to use any keyboard modifier to make this work and it should have been "intuitive".  The key modifiers are only typically used in non-standard circumstances.

Also, you never mentioned what service pack you have installed for ST8.  Running on Win 10 without a service pack may cause random issues which may contribute to your dimensioning problem.

Ken