Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Locating Holes on a Face

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

If you read the link you provided, it gives you a download link to the Patch.  It also states that the MP3 patch is all inclusive so no need to download any other patches (MP1, MP2) however, I would recommend getting the latest patch for ST8 which is MP6 and is located here: https://download.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/solid_edge/ST8/Maintenance_Packs/MP06/Solid...

You need a WEBKEY account to be able to login to download.  If you do not have one I would suggest that you contact your assigned VAR.  They will be able to provide one on one support to get you up and running and provide assistance when you have issues.

FYI, on the Solid Edge Community page about midway down on the right, there are links to the latest Maintenance Patches.  Also, in the Help pane I believe there is a link to download Product Updates.

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP5, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Creator
Creator

Thanks, Grundey. I will check all that out when things settle down. I am flailing at too many windmills at once.

So I downloaded 

solidedge.msi.mp3.exe

and ran it!

D'oh! I thought it was MP6 but it was MP3

Upon starting SE, a dialog box tells me SE has stopped working.

I assume I can download and install MP6 at this time and expect positive results?

Creator
Creator

So part of my latest rant was deleted without me knowing, leading to confusion, sorry.

SP6 is installed, and the dimensioning seems to work without flakiness. I still have to press shift to get orthagonal dimensions, which someone indicated shouldn't be required, but by default I always get the shortest (diagonal) distance to the hole center from the closest end point of the selected edge. But whatever, I can at least, finally, hopefully, get some actual design work done.

I just ordered $200 worth of tools and fasteners based on the design in my head. It would have been nice to use CAD software first.

I have shirked other duties this morning to work on this. I really gotta go.

Thanks again for the help. I promise to contribute when I get a chance.

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Hi Driver,

It sounds like you have the "by 2 points" option selected when placing your dimensions.  Holding shift does switch to orthogonal dimensions.  However, if you pull down on the options box and set it to "horizontal/vertical" you will be working with orthogonal dimensions.  This works when modeling parts or when in the drafting environment.

Here is a quick Jing video link showing the various ways to set dimensions.  Also note the "use dimension axis" which is also very handy.

http://screencast.com/t/ixQrQ460Wx

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I think I know what may be going on with your dimensioning and this would be the unobvious/unintuitive part... When using the Smart Dimension, being that it is "smart" it can do a whole lot of things depending on the input and options you give it.  In your case, you are clicking on an endpoint of the edge of your channel and then the hole (center).  This automatically gives you the minimum distance between the 2 points.  If instead you would click the linear edge element (no keypoint) and then pick the hole (center) then you will get a dimension aligned with the linear edge that you picked.  The SHIFT key is used to force the Smart Dimension to Horizontal/Vertical when you pick points that yield minimum distance by default (being locked to a plane in Synch mode makes a difference here also)

By contrast, the Distance Between command doesn't do this by default but instead uses the default Orientation option of Horizontal/Vertical and should do the same thing but may have gotten changed to the "By 2 points" option as Kyle said.

What is Horizontal/Vertical to a Dimension depends on the orientation of the plane you are locked on to (Synch) or the Reference Plane established (Ordered).

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP5, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com