Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locating (positioning) a sketch

Genius
Genius

I was going thru some tutorials to refresh myself and I need some help.

In my other cad program, I can move sketches (geom) around utilizing the mid point between lets say mid points of 2 lines and move the sketch (geom) to its new home, very easy and fast.

So when I was working through this tutorial, it stated that I could draw the sketch off to one side. Which I did but when I was ready to position it at the location required as shown in pic. I could not find a way to do this without adding a reference line and utilizing its mid point to position the sketch properly and the tutorial didn't explain how to do this.

Am I missing something or is it just not a click click to position sketches (geom) in Solid Edge

Thanks for your time

5 REPLIES

Re: Locating (positioning) a sketch

Creator
Creator

Hello Experimenter,

If you hover over your view hit return on your mouse your window

will show create alignment and take it from there..

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

You can use horizontal/vertical alignments also as long as the sketch entities are positioned so that the software will recognize the proper alignments.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

Like Bruce suggested, you can use alignment indicaters to move and also when creating sketches, as this video shows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ9kaThkOH8

Genius
Genius

Thank You to all!

I have read almost every tutorial there is and I have watched tons of videos and I have saved off a lot of them for future reference.  I have also gone thru the full SolidMastermind series and all the Solid Edge Corp tutorials over the last couple of years and I totally missed this technique somewhere.

This is such a simple thing but it is so so important to know this simple task for my overall effectiveness in part creation, especially now that I own my seat of the Classic version. Terminology between cad programs tend to blur sometimes and my old habits seem to get in my way.

This isn’t the only thing that has tripped me up but I’m getting much more comfortable with Solid Edge which is a big step up from my bread and butter cad program Keycreator

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@Tushar wrote:

Like Bruce suggested, you can use alignment indicaters to move and also when creating sketches, as this video shows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ9kaThkOH8

@Tushar, That's good. I've never used the indicators to establish a "from" position like in the video.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200