Solved! Go to solution

Loft problem

Anyone care to comment on why this happens. This being the twist at the corner. See video:

(view in My Videos)

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200
21 REPLIES

Re: Loft problem

Hi @bshand,

Number of faces, would be my first thought.......how are you [I know how I'd do it - based on sheet metal construction] expecting it to come out?

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

[ Edited ]

Well, first I'd like it not to have the twist at the corner. I don't get why it occurs.

And it is indeed ultimately intended to be sheet metal. Ideally flattenable as well.

If you can impart your wisdom on how you would do it I will gladly buy you a beer.

Bruce Shand
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author bshand
Friday

Betreff: Loft problem

Hi @bshand

You can/should use the Extend Step and Vertex Mapping

See video and I hope this helps

regards
Wolfgang

Did the Vertex mapping that @hawcad mentioned help?

@bshand, the number of vertices in the two profiles is different.  Therefore Solid Edge has to make an "educated guess" as to how the user wants the transition to occur.  You can fix it by splitting one of the curves in the top section to add in the 3rd and 4th vertices.  Put them where you envisage the mapping to be.  I suspect that you may want a few more vertices on both sections, though.  Whatever you do, you need to make sure both sections end up with the same number of vertices in order to make life easier.

[ Edited ]

Hi @bshand my friend, I would like to accept that challenge, but I think you will find my method on your PC already. In the form of the sheet metal training files in the Solid Edge install directory....look at the square to round transition in particular.

The "trick" to it, is to place small fillets in the corners of the rectangles geometry, that also serves the as the focal region, to group the conical pressing set....especially when using triangulation "option" on the lofted flange, to give the manufacturing team a realistic draft of it.

SQ2RND.png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

@bshand@SeanCresswell, the small fillets mentioned are exactly what I was alluding to when I suggested that a few more vertices would be required.  I have a few "lofted flange" sheetmetal example files that I created years ago that I can upload if you want them.  They contain the "fillets" mentioned above and are the key to making it work.

@SeanCresswell, @chrisstandring, I did add fillets previously with no joy. And I tried matching vertices. I'll have to check out the samples. And, Chris, please send along the models.

Bruce Shand

I know that for me, the lofted flange command has given me more and more problems in the last few releases. I get twisted results depending on which direction I take the material, and I geta bunch of nearly parallel bends in other situations. That is when I'm using a polygon as my base circle, to give it a more accurate representation. When I use triangulation, I end up with issues not being able to successfully use normal cutout, and I have issues unbending/rebending where it won't let me rebend all of the bends, usually can't rebend one of them. Then there is that you cannot constrain to the bend lines when in the flat. It didn't used to be this way.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"