Lofted flange bend direction

Phenom
Phenom

So, because we can no longer get lofted flange to work using polygons as the arc in a square to round transition, I've gone ahead and started doing them using true circles for the round end. My problem is on the flat pattern of these, with the bend data. See for some reason it always puts the flat so that it always reads "Bend Down", when the break operators will actually bend it up. So I decided I'll just project off this flat twice and show the other side. Well, when I do that, the bend data is even more funky. The one on the left should all read to bend up.

Capture38.PNG

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"
13 REPLIES

Re: Lofted flange bend direction

Legend
Legend

To clarify, do you want the finish/better side of your material to be on the outside or inside of the part. We would normally have the outside be the finish/better side, so we would pick the outside of the part to create our flat pattern face. The Brake operators then know that the finish side is outside (bends down), but they flip the part and form it up (normal brake process).

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

Phenom
Phenom

In this case, I'm not worried about the finish. I just want to be able to have it read bend up and not down.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

Legend
Legend

Then pick the inside as your face when making your flat pattern. This way, your flat pattern will have that side up, and your bends will be up.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

Phenom
Phenom

I am aware that is how it is supposed to work. I wouldn't be posting the question if it worked that way for these parts. It doesn't. It always shows as bend down. And when I project twice to show the other side, it gives even funkier info.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

Phenom
Phenom

In these situations, I've found that the thing to do was to ask Galen. Any chance you could do that for me?

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

Legend
Legend

See what this says when you put the flat pattern on your draft.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

Phenom
Phenom

This part shows as bend up on all bends like it should be. Was this made in ST8?

When I project twice off this flat to show the other side it does do the same weird bend up, bend down alternating as happens with mine too.

But when I make lofted flanges with triangulation, I cannot get it to show as bend up. It doesn't matter what face I pick when flattening.

I wish the software would just work like it used to. I prefer modeling with polygons in place of circles anyways, it is depicted more accurately on the print that way.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

Legend
Legend

ST8 MP5

Share a sample file, let me test it out.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

Phenom
Phenom

Here's one that my new assistant was doing, and it only will show bend down, and if you project to get the other side it gives alternating bend up, bend down.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"