Lofted flange unbend, won't rebend

Legend
Legend

A coworker had mentioned this issue coming about when we upgraded to ST7 last year. Is there a different approach you folks take to make a similar round to square lofted flange? I've never really done a part like this before with Solid Edge, so I'm open to any suggestions.

All you have to do it take this part, flatten it out, and then when you try to rebend, it fails.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.
28 REPLIES

Re: Lofted flange flattens, won't rebend

Legend
Legend

I am going to ask a question here, you do know that flatten is different than an unbend/rebend, correct?

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Re: Lofted flange unbend, won't rebend

Legend
Legend

Sorry about that description error. You are correct, when I use an Unbend command, and then do a Rebend command, it won't work.

We put forming markes in the part to assist the brake operators. Yes, we can do that in the flat pattern, but in the past it was done in the ordered sequences.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

Legend
Legend

I don't want to sound like a **bleep** here, but your sketches are all under-constrained. Aside from this, I make my square to rounds in a similar fashion. However depending on  your particular needs, you don't necessarily have to use a polygon  to do this, if you use an actual circle section, solid edge will do that still. But personally for us, I think it gives us a better more accurate model and prints. But it will generate a flat pattern and everything if you just use a circle.

One thing I do is well, take what you have, and in the center of the center corner flat, cut it there. Then I mirror it. I've found that its better to have to weld on the corner areas than on the large flat sides.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

Legend
Legend

Do you use "all bends" when you do the unbend?

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

Legend
Legend

Hmm. It wont rebend for me either. Not on this model.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

Legend
Legend

And it will put etch marks into the flat dxf as well automatically if you use a circle instead of a polygon. Only thing is, I believe, it won't give you any information on how much to bend it, just where to.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

Legend
Legend

If you're using a circle, or actually an arc, how are you determining your brake lines for the shop?

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

Legend
Legend

Set it to triangulation in the bend method. Edge works out the location of the bends, and it puts them in the flat dxf as well, as long as you have it set to export them to dxf.

I would attach an example, but I'm on ST8, so I don't think you'd be able to open it.

Like I said before, I actually prefer to use basically the same method you are using here. Only thing is, for some reason, now it tends to either twist the part, or it gives me a bunch of nearly paralllel brake lines. I don't know why. See, we acquired solid edge a few months ago, at my insistence. I've used nearly my entire career, and the last version I had used was st5, here at this company, we had solid works and inventor back when I started. Then I convinced them to get me solid edge, and now it is weird on the lofted flanges, it twists them. But I have old square to round transitions I had made before, and as long as I use them, it works fine.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

Legend
Legend

Are you etching the brake lines into the part, or are you like cutting out a notch at the part edge to do this?

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"