Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Lofted flange unbend, won't rebend

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @BoatTech,

Not sure why the "Rebend" command won't work, would seem like a bug to me......but, the attached is how I do these, I normally use the triangulated bending method [more bends for rounded looking part] setting, to display the folding information....both in draft, and for the laser to place etch marks. [see my first part]

ST8_PSM_LoftedFlange_Options_BendingMethod.png

If you really want the model to have the polygonal look, then I find the best is to just have the large end like that in the profile....the small end just a small radius, and they will distribute themselves. [see my second part]

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP8] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Legend
Legend

Uggggh, I was looking forward to looking over your samples, but they are in ST8, and we are holding onto ST7 at this time. I'll look at your suggestions and see if I can get a different result.

EDIT: I tried your suggestion with the triangulation settings, still doesn't want to rebend. Insane to think nobody else noticed this broke down in ST7............

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

@BoatTech wrote:

Insane to think nobody else noticed this broke down in ST7............

I quite agree! Neither of my model types for your example will "Rebend".

......have you submitted a PR on this repeatable issue?

Sean Cresswell

Legend
Legend

I think one of my coworkers submitted something, but hasn't gotten anything resolved in 9+ months.

This was a topic mentioned when we talked about going to ST8 a few months back. He didn't want to take a risk of anything else breaking and not getting resolved in a timely manner. I've worked with two different companies that will hold back for 2-3 releases because they don't like dealing with similar issues. I guess you can't really blame them.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

Yeah, good.....it is clearly an issue. Hopefully someone from GTAC has seen this thread.

@BoatTech wrote:

This was a topic mentioned when we talked about going to ST8 a few months back. He didn't want to take a risk of anything else breaking and not getting resolved in a timely manner. I've worked with two different companies that will hold back for 2-3 releases because they don't like dealing with similar issues. I guess you can't really blame them.

Having said that....it might not be a work flow thought of during testing.....the users out there in the trenches are renowned for finding all manner of ways to attack design challenge[s], that maybe doesn't occur to others, and sometimes that includes the higher functioning beings,....the developers & beta testers.

From what I can tell, they tend to react to these sorts of "regressions" quite quickly though....hence, I'm all aboard for the first version releases.

I also think some of those companies hold back, mainly because of compatibility issues with their other PLM software, or even the OS....and that was certainly true of Windows 10, until recently, it too was corrected.

Sean Cresswell

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Yeah,

I'm not getting rebend to work and this is a pretty simple lofted flange. We've submitted to GTAC and when I look at it online it says it's closed, which confuses me because I've not heard anyting on this.

I think we need to roll back to ST5 or ST6, which really sucks because everything we've ever done on Edge here was in ST8 and I'm the one who convinced us we needed to switch to edge. This is a huge problem. I don't even know how I'm going to be able to finish the project I'm on because I need to place this cutout in the hopper transition and I can't do it without rebending.

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Phenom
Phenom

I see a couple of people have suggested using triangulation, but the way I would do it (and which works for your model) is to change the 90degree arc sketch to be an actual arc.

You've manually broken up the arc into 5 straights, but if you leave it just a curve and do a lofted flange with 4/5 triangulated bends, you'll get the same result, with much cleaner sketches, and most importantly for you, it unbends and rebends sucessfully.

I wasn't sure if the two flat edges at the sides were important to you so I've done versions with and without to show how it works, and obviously you can change the triangualtion to increase or decrese the number of bends you require very easily.

EDIT: ST7 models by the way

Gears Phenom

Is there anything that can be done with a lofted flange that is round to round and needs to be rolled? Because I can't get it to do an unbend/rebend and so I resorted to just using a normal cutout instead, which for some reason didn't work like a normal cutout. And when I try to use holes with the maintain holes in the flat setting on, I get the same result.

normal.PNG

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

Gears Phenom

Okay, I can make this part, but I have to do it by having a surface, switching over to part, thickening the surface, switching back to sheet metal, converting it to sheet metal, then if I do an unbend/rebend I can get it to work around.

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"