Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Lofted flange flattens, won't rebend

Legend
Legend

As I stated in the beginning, I've never used Solid Edge to do this before. In the past I had an old CNC program that would do this.

I've found an old file that someone else created, and they did similar to my sample, and they flattened it to make the corner joints like you had stated. I thought they were unbending to put cuts at the end of the brake lines for the shop. I've experimented a couple times, and not getting anything to get the same results.

I was hoping someone else had come across this and had a simple solution, but I guess it's not a very common shape. It sounds like ST8 doesn't work either, if I understand correctly. Odd, I know my coworker brought this up to get fixed early in ST7, wonder why it hasn't been resolved even in the latest version...........

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I'd say it IS a common shape. I make square to round transitions all the time. This is something edge needs to fix.

To be fair though, I'm able to perform an unbend on my transitions and then rebend them, so it could be something with ST7 you are seeing here, and not ST8. Do you have the most recent maintenence pack for ST7 installed?

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Legend
Legend

I do have the latest MP pack. I thought you said it didn't work on your ST8, I must have read something wrong. You can create a new file, and it works, or you're talking about your old files working?

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I did say that it wouldn't rebend on ST8, but this part was created in ST7. So maybe it's something to do with ST7 because I haven't had any problems rebending any other lofted flanges in ST8.

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I gave this a good look. My guess is that you need for force a small space (0.001) between the bends at the tight (square) end of each pie shaped segment. Sheet metal does not like it when a bend starts with an edge that is not normal to the sheet sides. Look at the edges of the small end of your center two segments. The edge is 90 deg from the face of each bend segment. There is no room for the sheet to transition from one face to the next along the tight end edges.

To me, this is the cause of the failure. I surprised flatten worked at all.

I would start by drawing segments around the sharp end as well as the circular end.

I suspect this because I could not even unbend unless unbending all four bends at once. I could not unbend just one fold. The four bends are working together as a unit, and just barely. If the part was working cleanly, you should be able to unbend just one fold/break.

Legend
Legend

In previous versions, your suggestions weren't required, and apparently in ST8 also. Something happened in ST7 that killed this feature, and nobody has made a fix/MP to resolve it.

We don't update versions of Solid Edge until our customers agree to follow along. When things like this die off and don't get resolved, then everyone gets too nervous to try and find out what dies next in the newest version...........

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

That's why the custom of not installing a version until a year after relase is common for large companies. This allows commonly used procedures to be tested before the body of the workforce starts using the update. Until SE starts using some method of backwards compatability, this is a problem.

Legend
Legend

BUMP TO THE TOP......

So, this quit working in ST7, and ST8 even has questionable results with new parts (according to some comments).

Why would a simple process breakdown, and get ignored over the past year? Who has logical explanation?

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

Legend
Legend

I can't believe none of the community leaders have joined this discussion. Okay, it's broken and no word on ever being fixed. How do you go about creating similar parts, if you don't take this approach? Nominus38 offered some advice to using old files and modifying to your current needs, and that's very appreciated. But, is there any light at the end of the tunnel, and this process will be fixed in ST15?

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

Re: Lofted flange unbend, won't rebend

Legend
Legend

I have been folowing this topic, because my company also uses unbend/rebend in some of our designs.

But we are stuck on ST6, as ST7 and ST8 break more then it provides. Could you make a PR at your support? And give me that number so I can provide that number to my own support.

Sander
The Netherlands