Looking for Smart Dimension Help

So my boss wants to be able to copy/paste features that several parts we make have in common.  We are calling them out as a section view or something similar on the drawings we send out to the shop floor.  So lets say we have 20 different types of tapped holes.I will make a 10x10x10 cube with a hole in it.  I will then take 20 of these cubes and make an assembly of them spaced apart about 10 mm.  Now I have a cool drawing with all of the holesin it to use as a reference drawing or Engineering Standard.. 

When it comes time to make a new drawing where we need to call out what kind of hole, my boss wants to be able to copy/paste the hole section view i made into the new drawing.  Solid Edge wont let me do that because its part of an assembly.  What I did was to make a second sheet where I converted each individual block to 2D view.  Then I could copy paste them over individually. 

Only problem is he wants me to go through and use Smart Dimension on all of them as our new drawing standard way of dimensioning.  Not only that, but I have to tolerance all of them as well.  Now that my geometry isnt connected to a model anymore Smart Dimension wont work on the converted 2D models.  Is there any way to get around this and add the tolerancing that i need without haveing to go through and manually edit each individual string in the preferences?

any help would be appreciated.

13 REPLIES

Re: Looking for Smart Dimension Help

Do you mean something in this way?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVPP5CeQ-AI

You could then use Live Section to edit your geometry.

Yasser

That is an awesome video, thank you.  It answered several other questions that I had.  However, I was looking more in the Drafting side of ST8.  We are using blocks, section views, etc... in prints that we send to the shop floor.  Many have features that are common, and I was looking for a way that I could just keep a sheet with lots of features on it that I could copy/paste over.  I keep running into roadblocks. 

All of this is compounded by the fact that we use ST8 as well as Creo, and trying to get blocks, or copy/paste features to behave between the two platforms is hellish.

so, I created a couple cubes with random holes in it, and put them into an assembly.. then i made a draft of the assembly and took a detail of one of the holes.  Im assuming Im on track to what you want to do here.  If you right click the detail view and select properties, you can direct the view to whatever sheet you've already added.  I made a sheet2, and directed it to that (theres a pull down menu).  does this help at all?

It would help in some situations, but I dont think that there is a solution to what he wants.  He, literally, wants to highlight a view (section, etc...), hit <ctrl> C to copy, and then <ctrl> V to paste that view to anywhere (including cross platform) and have it function normally where it can be dimensioned, etc...

I think that is just asking too much from the state of CAD programs at this time.

yah Im not sure how you would do that. Its a neat idea though to have a parent refernce draft of all the holes you need and pull them out one at a time for separate sheets to detail and tolerance.

Let me stab at a guess: This boss has never actually used CAD to any appreciable extent.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

No, actually he is exceedingly competent.  Masters in ME, and very proficient programmer in his own right.  He just has a vision for what he wants to do, and he has me pushing the boundaries of what ST8 is capable of.  We do a ton of custom work, and it would make our lives considerably easier if we could standardize a lot of stuff.

For instance, lets say we have a feature that in and of itself is standard.  A hole, within a hole, leading to a cross hole that meets up at the end of a cylinder.  By "custom" i mean that while maybe the diameters of the holes never change, the depths will change from part to part.  He wants to use variables to control the depths of said holes so that we dont have to make a new model every time we have a new part.  Thats easy.

Where it gets difficult is when we go to update the standard drawing the views get whacked out, or maybe the section view lines are no longer in line with the feature we are sectioning, etc...

I am the guinea pig in the company to see what ST8 is capable of, and whether or not it can fufill his vision for what he wants our dept. to be able to do.

[ Edited ]

Well, I took a shot. I wasn't implying incompetency but inexperience. I don't think programming ability relates.

Not sure why this would happen: "Where it gets difficult is when we go to update the standard drawing the views get whacked out, or maybe the section view lines are no longer in line with the feature we are sectioning, etc..."

The view should update correctly. Now the section lines can be an issue. Maybe you can dimension to them or relate them to something that is always there so they'll move with the feature you want sectioned. Of course, this would be all within Edge only.

If your feature is one of your standard sizes and you don't want to section and dimension every time then I think you would need disassociated 2D entities - dumb blocks if you will - to drop in. Or smart 3D blocks that may not be parametrically related to the assembly.

That's all I got.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

That's awesome, man.  I wish I could show you what I was working with so that maybe it would shine a bit more light on the problem.  I work with rotary cutting dies.  So we have 2 counter rotating cylinders that cut out shapes.  One cutter, one anvil.  There are features (hydraulic ports, stripping pins, etc...) that are on the cylinder bodies.  The basic shape of the features never changes.  They will always have a m12 hole (but the depth of the hole may be different every time) they will always be located on the same face( but the angle relative to the datum may change) and the list goes on and on.  Also the length and diameter of the cylinders change constantly as well.

Now most of that I can control on the model with variables, but when it comes time to translate it into a drawing, I get lots of errors, detached lines, cutting planes out of angular alignment, etc.

I m not sure if there is a way to fix it, but if I find one I will update this post!