Looking for a How to Designing a Bicycle Rim

PLM World Member Valued Contributor PLM World Member Valued Contributor
PLM World Member Valued Contributor

I'm looking for ideas, videos on designing a cross section as well as front view of a bicycle rim. Any suggestion will help.

Best Regards

Greg

2 REPLIES

I'm sure actual rim design varies greatly depending on it...

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Greg,

I'm sure actual rim design varies greatly depending on it's intented use....but this is what I found with a very quick search [see pic below]

bead-seat-diameter.jpg

In "Part" sketch one complete [the shaded area in pic] profile, place dimensions at the correct wheel radius distance from the origin, select the region and revolve it 360°, create one hole & and circular pattern it for the spokes, save & create draft views as desired.....DONE!

[or continuewith the assembly, creating a hub, then 2 oposite side spokes & cicular pattern to match number of holes]

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

I don't have a Bicycle Wheel but I did Model a Wheel Chai...

PLM World Member Experimenter PLM World Member Experimenter
PLM World Member Experimenter

I don't have a Bicycle Wheel but I did Model a Wheel Chair as a prop for a Medical Device. Since I couldn't find one on the internet I built mine from the ground up. But since I wasn't using this as a product the Wheel is modeled in ONE part and not an assembly.  But this might be a good part to play with Multi-Bodied Parts and publish the features independantly.

untitled.11.jpg

I've attached a zip file of the WC Rear Spoked Wheel. This hopefully will help you see how I made it.

bob