Looking for convinced Sync User in Europe

Phenom
Phenom

Hi Edgers,

at the moment there are serious discusions here wether or not we should use more sync or not,
what means keeping it traditional as it was for the last 15  years.

I am personally an enthusiastic sync user, knowing where it makes sense to to it sync and where not.

But it is not only me and not only to do it by myself or in a small team, it is a must to also convince our "elder man" an senior engineers and show them the advantage of sync.

As normally the prophet does not count as much  in his own country as anywhere else, we are looking for other Solid Edge useres who will share their experience and positive results with our sceptics.

So I'm going to use this forum for getting in contact with - prefered an European - Solid Edge use r- to  see where sync has helped to do work faster and solving tasks easier.

I say thanks for any answer and hope to get positive response

regards
Wolfgang
20 REPLIES

Re: Looking for convinced Synch User in Europe

MLombard
Retired

You might look up Jan Bos, from the Netherlands. I may also have an eBook for you to pass around, if you haven't done that already. Email me if interested.

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

Phenom
Phenom

If you are doing lots of sheet metal or frame design, I would stay away from Sync. If those are only minor deigns details, Then Sync may make sense. 

I'm 80% sheet metal, and because I use design processes that can't be done in sync I will not use it. My specific issues is flat pattern size control and bend locations. The bend locations and flat sizes get tied together in Sync, in ordered they can float reative to one onother. The main point being flat pattern sizes can't be directly controlled.

Legend
Legend

Hi Wolfgang,

I'm a convinced Synchronous user and this helped me to do work faster / solving tasks easier AND have more fun doing these tasks.

At the moment I'm converting a whole range of standard product from parametric to synchronous and bringing them up to Solid Edge 2016 standard... this improves customizing those standard parts a lot... normally a customizing job on those standards take 2 hours each...  now I'm under 1 hour.. and the models  and drawings are "stable"  it fun..

The book from Matt will help those users that are scared... but you need a few key users tho get them convinced... and as with the switch from drawing board to 2D cad and later  2d to 3D there are users that will not make the switch or late.. those with that mindset should not be in your company..

When you get it’s a lot of fun and it will make your work better, easier, but there is a certain threshold..

At the moment there is a company nearby who is investigating if they should switch from 2d to 3D and they are considering SW and SE.. I know them and spoke to their engineers at a resellers day... and they lean to Solid Works because it’s simple... (yes it is) compare to SE and all it capabilities..  I have offered them help to make te right decision.. Hope their management will do the right thing and buy Solid Edge.

Drop me an e-mail of call me I speak german as well..  j.bos@geha-holland.nl  or +31 591 307058 or drop by wen you are in the Netherlands.

Kind Regards,

Jan Bos

Manager R&D / Engineering @ Geha, The Netherlands

Betatester ST10

Legend
Legend

Hello Wolfgang,

i use sync for about 4 years now and after a short period of learnig i think many things are much  faster.

If you have learned that not every feature and every part makes sens to do it in sync, it makes changes more easy.

I do most work in sync, but for example radii, chamfers and routed cutouts in ordered. Mirrored parts normally only make sense in ordered mode.

Greetings from Germany
Christian Kunkel
https://c-k-m.info

Phenom
Phenom

Hi to all but especially to

@Jan_Bos

@ckunkel72

@MLombard

@12GAGE

which show me again - and I'm knowing it for a long time -  how great this forum is.

And a forum not only is a forum but in real consits of enthusiastic people holding the forum alive!

Thanks for that at this moment!

I will get in contact to everybody answered so far and I'm hoping for further response too.

To underline it again:

I by myself am a absolutely supporter of Synchronous Technology and I fight for spreading it more and more

but - as You have said - You have to convince the mind makers of Your company too!

Thanks and I will continue with this thread 

PS.: a special "Thank You" to Matt for his ebook which I already have and will forward to all of my sceptics

regards
Wolfgang

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello Wolfgang,

I've been a Solid Edge user since V7!

Moving over to ST1 was a little fraught, but I have found designing much quicker and easier, even in sheet metal. The trick is to know when to use ST on it's own, and when to include ordered for any special features that only work in ordered. ST gives you more freedom when either designing from scratch or when modifying existing designs / imported models.

Kind regards

Matt Hunt

Matt Hunt IEng.MIED
Design Engineer
M-Flow Technologies

ST9 MP*
K2200

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hello,

I am a CAD Manager and we have been reviewing the transition/use of Sync for the past few months. I tasked a college of mine with creating a report on this topic for our management. I would be willing to share that with you if it stays within your control? I believe it may aid you in convincing mangers and engineers that to ignore ST is to miss productivity improvements.

I hope that is of help,
Guy

CAD/CAE Manager
ST8 MP12

Legend
Legend

Hi Guy,

Would be nice to get a copy of that report you wrote.. could this be done ?

Kind Regards,

Jan Bos

j.bos@geha-holland.nl

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@Jan_Bos

Jan,

You have an email.

Guy

CAD/CAE Manager
ST8 MP12