Looking for suggestions: how to make seat covers

Legend
Legend

000.jpgMaybe this isn't the right place to ask, please delete if that's the case:

I'm looking for a quick way to make seat covers to help my renderings look more realistic. I would think there would be a way to just use the seat models, but I've got no idea where to start to make it happen. Maybe I do an inner-part relationship, establish a thickness, and then try to cut areas for the stitching or design within the seat cover?

Any suggestions? I'd hate to spend too much time on it, but I guess once I get one done, the rest would go pretty quick after that.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.
5 REPLIES

Re: Looking for suggestions: how to make seat covers

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @BoatTech,

I take it the seat models are smooth...not like the actual seats in the photo?

Could you not get away with a rendering texture to achieve this?

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Phenom
Phenom

We design, produce and place seats.

After 14 years of SE experience I still don't know a fast solution for your question... 

Specially when you have stitches, strings,...

For flat and easy seats I use a part copy, thicken, thin wall of the foam.

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST10 & AutoCAD 2018.1 user

Legend
Legend

My appologies, I didn't state the the seat pans are sheetmetal, and we have covers we put over them. I'll try a few things this morning, see if I can't get something semi-realistic looking.

EDIT: I'm running into walls every attempt I try. I've done an inner part copy, and copied the inside surface of the seat shell.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

BoatTech, maybe not solving the complete modeling issue here, but the realistic rendering of a Seat is handled in the webinar "Using KeyShot to Create Amazing Product Visuals". 

It starts off with a Break caliper, then shows the Seat.

You find quite a number of Learning resources here:

https://www.keyshot.com/learning/webinars/

And there is also the 'Quick tip' and Tutorials'. 

Siemens EMEA GTAC Support

Legend
Legend

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll watch and see if I can't learn a thing or two. I've gotten a crude inner surface to improve the visual of my renderings. I don't often find myself with the ability to spend this much time "experimenting", but think I'm further ahead than what I was before.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.