Looking to benchmark our design practices

Experimenter
Experimenter

Good evening

Voith Hydro is a manufacturer of turbines and generators for hydro power plants. Almost all of our products are custom designed and build for customer specific projects.  We have been using Solid Edge for roughly 15 years.  

We would like to evaluate our design practices and processes and learn from other companies that are also in a project oriented enviroment.  Ideally, learn from each other.  

We are located in South Central Pennsylvania.  Feel free to contact me if you are representing a company that would be willing to enter such conversation.

Best regards

Walter Riegler

Manager, Turbine Mechanical Engineering

Voith Hydro Inc.

York, PA

2 REPLIES

Re: Looking to benchmark our design practices

Legend
Legend

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I'll try. I contacted our SolidEdge provider a couple of years ago, and asked that we have our 12+ designers reviewed and see if there were better ways to do things that we weren't aware of. It was common for our group to have 3 or 4 different views/opinions/approaches to how a part, draft, or assembly was worked with. Almost all in our group learned Solid Edge through tutorials our first week, and didn't have any formal training specific to the software we used every day.

Our provider had their standard training classes, and we requested that someone come to our faclity for direct discussion with what we did day to day. They offered a very affordable package to do this for 2-3 days. Sadly, we didn't get to go through with the training, but I thought the package was something very worth looking into once we got out of the backlog of work we were in.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

Re: Looking to benchmark our design practices

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Benchmark for a creative process can be difficult.

From my perspective, there are two main ways to look at things:

1. Management by statistics.

2. Lean Manufacturing.

In both cases, you have to decide what to measure, then take measurements. Once you have measurements, you can track how and why things change.

Going back to old School 36X24 blue prints done manually. It was always estimated 2 man days/sheet to get the drawings complete. How many sheets was relative to complexity.

Moving up to today, I would measure the man days/hours for each of the following:

Quote, Initial design, Design changes, total time from Engineering when shipped.

Also a base line for what standards are in place needs to be tracked. Changing/adding day to day requirements can have a profound impact on CAD times. For example, is a new person in charge of part numbers, what the turn around time. Does each designer need to pull there own? Whats the training time on that?