MM distance in an inch model

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I have a sheet metal file I would like to use mm spacing for one sketch. Is there a way to use mm inputs for dimensions when the file is in inches? I know I can display mm both in the model and in draft, the problem is in using say 15mm as the input vs. using 0.590551 inches. The goal is to have hole patterns match well enough that they can be used for alignment in assembly. Unless the results are an exact match, using holes to align objects will not work. The parts I wan to align were imported using mm controls. The sheet metal part I'm working in will be manufatures using inches.

8 REPLIES

Re: MM distance in an inch model

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

You can actually type the units into the input field.

In other words, if your model's units is set to inches, you can type in "15mm" in the value for the dimension and it will be 15 mm.  The display will revert back to inches, though, properly converted unless you over ride the dimension style for each particular dimension.

you can enter a value such as "15mm" in an inch template to get the exact value.

===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX10 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.6

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

That works. Thank you. 

Legend
Legend

I used SE for quite a while before I knew you could simply add "mm" to a dim to convert it. life saver! Lol

-Craig

Phenom
Phenom

This little time saver set Solid Edge apart from the rest quite early on!

Phenom
Phenom

It also works the other way round.

And you can do calculations - use * for multiply, / for divide, along with + and -

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Phenom
Phenom

@beachcomber @Tushar These are both pretty handy, but a "similarly named competitor" product is a little bit smarter in that you can combine these and type e.g. "3+2in" to get 127mm or even "5in + 3mm" to get 130mm. Probably one of the few features I miss from the 'other' system!

would love this in SE.  I know there are open ERs for this... 

===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX10 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.6