Magic??

[ Edited ]

Who understands this?

3 parts, scale 1:1.

a bit rearanged:

Why do I do this?

I am drawing a new part. The part I draw has to be the fifference between these two parts larger. I was always teached not to calculate myself.

So I placed the 2 views next to each other, aligned them and measure.

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST9 & AutoCAD 2018 user
14 REPLIES

Re: Magic??

There is a subreddit called wtf. I think this belongs there.

I can replicate this, just by duplicating a view and moving it around the sheet. 

Have you aligned them by right-clicking a view and selecting "Create alignment?" This should solve this issue. 

-Dylan Gondyke

Hi Dylan,

first impression is great.
But then I tried to find out, how You have done this.

I have seen, that when I am bringing different parts into a drawing, align them a put dimension on them, the dimensions show the measures from the origins relativly.

This is very interest in the situation, when You are not showing the same view (that means front, top and son on)

But so I can reproduce this funny results with any part.

Man has to be very carefully when creating dimensions between different document parts.

Suppose, that it would be better to put this 3 parts into one asm and show that one in the draft instead.

regards

Wolfgang

regards
Wolfgang

I'm sure someone can explain how this works and why, but because of the little things I don't know, I personally never dimension between views.

-Dylan Gondyke

When you dimension between views, it gets the actual MODEL dimension between the edges in the model, rather than whatever the distance on the sheet is. This is what allows you (since a few releases) to dimension seamlessly between a regular and a detail view for example.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

[ Edited ]

Dan

You lost me completely.

When I see a dimension "38", I expect a distance of 38. Where am I wrong?

all the views are drawn 1/1.

...........................................................................................................

Hi Joris,

I think the problem in mind here is, that we first see a drawing with dimensions and read that as we have learned.

But here is not shown one and the same part or assembly - where Solid Edge knows the model size and coordinates from one and the same origin.

In that case there is a drwaing of 3 different parts put on one single draft sheet.

And they can - as I tested it - also be oriented in different directions from different origins.

Only the pictures are aligned horizontally - more or less by accident or may be aligned.

So when You now create a dimension from one corner of one part to another different corner of a different part SE only can take a absolut coordinates from the respective origins and calculates the differences.

Thes results in those obvious grazy numbers.

So I think man should give them a rule to never ever dimension between different views of different parts, only between different views of the same part or model.

This is something which IMHO could be improved by programmers and should be taken as ER.

regards

Wolfgang

regards
Wolfgang

Still not agreed.

The views you see are from 2 parts:

Left and right are the same part, middle is a different part.

All 3 parts are perfectly aligned (with keypoint alignment)  AND drawn on scale 1/1.

When printed onto paper and measured with an old school ruler you would measure 14 and not 7. I don't see any reason why there is 7.

I am lucky the difference is big enough so I saw there is something wrong or I made a mold with wrong dimensions!

Yes, I've run across this too, and it can be very confusing. This should not be allowed to happen. Is there a good purpose for this? I can't imagine one, but I can imagine some very expensive mistakes being made because of it. If there is a legitimate use, there should at least be some kind of warning given.