Maintenance renewal

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

My maintenance renewal is due, and I'm curious if there is any benefit to shopping around for that. Do VARs have any latitude in what they charge for maintenance or does Siemens set that?  I expect even if they do, it's probably not much.  But if they do, I may get a second quote just to see if it's worth the trouble.    I like that Siemens allows you to work with any VAR you want (not just the local guy).

Thanks for any feedback on this.

Pat

11 REPLIES

Re: Maintenance renewal

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If you get any other benefits from your current VAR like setup, advice and troubleshooting it's probably best to stick with them.

If they're just a reseller to you then I guess you can treat it like shopping for the cheapest oil change service.

Just my .02.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

My understanding is those prices are set be Siemens. you'll be paying the same price no matter where you go (legal copySmiley Happy )

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I don't really use my VAR for anything.  I suppose I could use them for support, but I find this forum more convenient.  I don't know if I'm the exception or the rule when it comes to that.  It would be interesting to know.  

For me, I'd rather have maintenance (software upgrades) and support as two separate (and separately paid for) serivces.  That way I pay just for what I use.  But I doubt that will ever happen.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Most VAR's provide personal support when needed. Some also provide some ammenities/freebies such as swag (personalized mousepads, usb powersupplies etc...) or gifts but the major promotions/giveaways and pricing come through Siemens.

If you never here from your provider except when maintenance contract is due then shop around.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

A VAR should be willing to provide support without extra charge for many issues. Only occasionally will they bill for "above and beyond" sorts of support, including on-site visits, classes, etc. And VAR support, as opposed to support available on this forum should be very focused on your particular problems, including screen sharing time, investigations of log files, client and server settings, usually for no extra charge. And if they do require a fee then you are getting what you asked for as you say in your last post.

It sounds like you may be underutilizing your VAR.

And, of course, support from GTAC is generally outstanding as well as quick.

Bruce Shand

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Sounds like I'm not getting as much from my VAR as I should be!  They do send out a news letter once a month or so, but that's about it.  I'd rather have a mouse or USB power supply!  ;^)

I do have an inquiry in to another VAR to see how pricing compares.  I doubt it's much different though, in which case I'll just stick with who I have.  I just wish there was another option that allowed those of us on tight budges to save a few bucks by forgoing unneeded VAR services.   

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

I think it doesn't matter who you go through. The price is still the same. I think the Var get's paid through semens for what they sell and a fee. so, it doesn't matter if you have one or not. woldn't save money

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@pkelecy, Do you ever ASK THEM for help?

Bruce Shand

Experimenter
Experimenter

If you never need help then shoot them an email every now then and ask if they have any freebie promotions such as a mouse pad or whatever.

I never hear from my VAR but I did receive a 3D controller from them on one occasion. That was about 10 years ago or so. We are small with only 3 seats at our location and 3 seats of Solidworks at our company in another state.