Solved! Go to solution

Major problem with RevMan for Insight users.

[ Edited ]

Here's a major problem I'm having with RevMan. I don't know if it's a problem with RevMan or really a problem with Insight/Sharepoint. It comes down to RevMan anyway because that's where it's failing.

But I have huge load of parts to copy/rename and it's tellin me "a document with this name already exists in Sharepoint"?

WHAT DOCUMENT!? Oh, you can't tell me that?! Ridiculous!

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200
22 REPLIES

Re: Major problem with RevMan for Insight users.

Don't you like the "Where's Waldo" pictures?  Man LOL

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

I want to strangle Waldo!

Bruce Shand

Good evening Bruce,

Open your Options.xml file with SEAdmin.exe and check what is your "Prevent duplicate document names in Insight" setting.

Regards,

Theodore

I know about that setting but don't want to use it. Or turn it off. Duplicate file names are bad news in a manged database IMO.

Bruce Shand

Not sure whether you mean managed or mangled there Bruce. ;-)

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

@beachcomber, Mangled apparently. I found out why it gave me that mysterious message. When I copied the files in revman I opened the top assy and I highlighted all the parts I wanted to copy to new folders and I renamed the files so they wouldn't be duplicate. I also did a where-used and copied all the drafts. It did indeed copy all the parts and assemblies and drafts but it didn't repoint to the new files in the copied assemblies. Most assemblies still point to the original folder. But I wasn't aware of the fact that it did copy the files as I asked. So, I opened the top assy again, selected the files with the old, wrong path and attempted the copy again. That's when it saw duplicate parts and gave me the Waldo warning.

So now I have a bunch of copied assemblies pointing to the wrong places.

Anyone know how I can easily redefine the pointers?

I tried renaming the old path thinking Edge wouldn't find them and then it might get the new files but no.

The question remains: Why didn't the pointers reset to the new path?

I've previously praised revman elsewhere but now I'm reconsidering.

Bruce Shand

That doesn't sound good.

Can you use redefine links in rev manager to point to the new location?

If you rename the original folders do you get a load of broken links?

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

[ Edited ]

@beachcomber "If you rename the original folders do you get a load of broken links?"

No, the assemblies pointed to the renamed folder as if nothing happened. I did rename it in Sharepoint so maybe that's why.

I have yet to try the RM relinking.

Edit: The redefine links tool in RM doesn't appear to work on a Sequel database. Nothing shows up in the "look-in" box when I select the sequel folder.

Bruce Shand

May be the solution is to clear the cache!

If you have renamed a file ( by Fileexplorer or by Website) you have to clear the cache because the system tries to use the origin pointer and when the file ist not found in the cache the links will be updated to the new name/folder position!

Only with this Insight is forced to use the SeDocId!

Stefan

smitsch@unitec.de
www.all4edge.de