Making a surface look like wood?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I've seen renderings of furniture models that look like real wood.  How is that done?  Does it use jpeg images of the wood in a custom texture?  I have a model of wood part that I would like to render more realistically.  Thanks!

12 REPLIES

Re: Making a surface look like wood?

Phenom
Phenom

Try assigning the built in materials to any solid you have. If they are not good enough, then you can edit and apply textures and bumpmaps all you like.

If you do that do a specific file, then copy that file you don't need to dig into texture management much. If you want a new texture available all the time with a seed file, then there is a bit of a learning curve.

The big ticket item with rendering is lighting. Quality lighting takes a long time to get good at. I have never been through that learning curve but I have seen others go through it. It take about 1000 hours of messing with lighting to get really really good at it. Just like real life lighting for a movie set. it takes lots of time to get good at lighting things up perfectly.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Pat,

Yes, you're on to it....I keep it pretty simple and use the in-built SE textures mostly. Adjusting scale & orientation to suit the shape & scale of the part.

Statesman-1400-AR_a.jpg

Hobec 001.jpg

[See my example ST8 file.....]

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Thanks for suggestion. This model actually has a few "non-wood" features (which I did to simplify the modeling). So assigning a wood material would not work. Also, the default color with a wood material is not very realistic looking (no grain patterns, etc). So it looks like I'll need to play around with textures and lighting regardless. I've done it before with other materials, but thought it worth asking in case there was an easier way with wood. Thanks again!

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Sean,

Thanks for the example. Unfortunately I'm still on ST7 and wasn't able to open the file. Is it possible to save it an earlier version? I would love to look at it as I didn't realize there were built-in textures that mimic woods grains. Those screen shots look very good! If I can do that I'll be happy. Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Pat,

Ah yeah, I should've asked [by the way, the second image is actually a photo of the installed item].....anyway, try this file, it was created back in 2012, so should easily be ST7 compatible.

The standard textures are located in.... Program Files / Solid Edge STx / Images / Textures / Wood.....I used "Wood_5" for the piece in this rather old example attached.

ST8_PAR_Texture_Wood-5.png

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

Phenom
Phenom

The problem with rendering wood in SE are the heads of wood and the side of (bended) plywood.

For example:

plywood.png

To achieve this I needed to make a (micro)cutout between each wood layer so I could give each layer a different color. Very time consuming...

I didn't even start what this does with an assembly nor draft!

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST10 & AutoCAD 2018.1 user

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Sean,

That file worked. Thanks. I didn't realize SE had jpeg templates of various wood grains. Following your example I was able to create some realistic looking wood boards of my own. It's a tedious process though as you really have to get the sizes correct in order for it to look right, and those vary depending on the size of the surface it's applied to. So I probably won't do this too often, but at least I know how.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Joris,

That looks good! Thanks for showing how you did it. I agree this is tedious to do though. I expect software design for this sort of rendering makes it easier. Hopefully Siemens will work on improving this in future releases.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You're welcome Pat,......yes it is a little time consuming tweaking it to get it to look right, or cllose to it.

Keyshot seems to make it much easier in this regard, but I have yet to try out the wood textures for any of our street furniture projects.

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10