Hi again Group!
I mentioned in an earlier post that we just upgraded from ST6 to ST7. For the most part it’s been successful, but there was one hiccup that I can’t seem to resolve. I was wondering how some of the rest of you handle the roll-out.
First of all, the users do not have admin rights on the workstations, so the installation takes place under an admin username.
The main issue is that the Solid Edge Options.xml gets assigned by the admin, but when each user logs in and starts the software, it’s still un-assigned. I’ve considered a tweak to the login script, but not all personnel in the group will have their stations updated at the same time. So how do some of the rest of you handle this?
Thanks in advance,
I can't answer because our users have local admin. Are you saying that when a user opens SE it points to the default ...\references\options.xml file on the C: drive instead of the preferred file?
And the user can't change the options.xml file in options?
The user IS able to change it on their own (with some direction). The problem is most are not familiar enough with the Solid Edge configurations to know they need to do it. We found many folks going in and mapping each individual item (templates, holes, material, etc.) on an indivual basis, and pointing them to the previous versions settings. We would like it to be prepped and ready to go as soon as they start it.
So when the admin installs it and points to the proper .xml it doesn't stick for the user?
If you turn off "allow overide" in options.xml it should only allow "update", not modification.
Your earlier message is correct, the setting doesn't stick.
I opened the Options.xml and it was set to YES, so I changed it to not allow overrides. Odd thing is, our ST6 Options file was set to yes also, but it behaved. I reset all the values while under the admin user, and re-applied the Options.xml again. I logged off, and logged in as a completely different user, and the setting still didn't stick. I have one more new install to do, so we'll see what happens on that machine.
In any case, thanks for the input. I think you're on the right track here.
@RBliss I created a little VB app that allows the user to select a role and it then applies the correct Options.xml for them. We update all stations at the same time, so I don't have the version disparity.
We have 3 groups with different templates and other location settings, so I have a separate Options.xml file for each. The VB app just redirects the user's SE setting to the correct one based on their selection in a combobox control. I have since added additional stuff for our PLM system but am still using it for the Options.xml also. Some folks work dual roles so I needed an easy way for them to switch.