Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mass properties solid edge ST9

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi!

Is there any way to show the mass properties (center of mass, moments of inertia...) of a part (.par) in solid edge ST9?

I would appreciate very much your help.

Thanks in advance!

6 REPLIES

Re: Mass properties solid edge ST9

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @PhoebeB,

Pressume you're looking for the 3D model space display?.......if you go to the Inspect tab > Physical Properties...both the Global & Principal tabs have a check box to display symbol's for them....plus other information. HTH.

2017-02-20.png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP7] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you very much, @SeanCresswell.

Yes, I was looking for that. Now my doubt is how to make solid edge to know that all the elements I have designed form a unique part. I mean, I want to find the center of mass of the kite I have attached to this message. And it is composed of several swept surfaces and a bounded one. But Solid edge does not recognize that all the elements are one unique part (the whole kite).

I have tried to select element by element and then click on Properties, but unfortunately it doesn't work. Maybe I have to design element by element and then assemble all of them to form the whole kite. Any idea of what can I do? 

Thank you. 

@PhoebeB Looks like you used surfaces to build your model which have 0 thickness and thus have no material and thus have no physical properties.  You need to have everything as a solid to get physical properties.

Ken

Production: ST10 MP6
Testing: SE 2019

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks!

Does anyone know if I can assign different materials to different elements of the same part? For example one material for the leading edge and another one for the ribs.

If the answer is yes, how can I do it?

Thanks in advance

Hi there @PhoebeB,

Yes you sort of can......BUT, I think you'd need to model it in pieces from the context of an assembly, make your sketch[es] in the Assembly environment, then base your pieces off that.....so the individual parts are exactly that, different part models, whereby you can assign different material properties as you go.

2017-02-27 (1).png

...or you could consider the "Split" command, to divide the model into individual pieces, then assign the properties to them individually. [the split parts are linked to the original file]

2017-02-27.png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP7] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

To further clarify Sean's answer…

The answer to your question is "no".  You cannot assign different physical materials to different bodies in the same part file.  It is one physical material per part file. So, in order to have multiple physical materials you will need a separate part file for each body.

With that said, if all you are looking at doing is trying to make your individual bodies within the same part file look visually different then you can use part painter to paint each body or surface with a  different visual material property.