Matching ProE flat sheet metal dimension to Solid edge flat sheet metal dimension

Genius
Genius

All

We are converting ProE sheet metal form and it's flat to solid edge. We are able to match all form dimension.

But there are some variation in the flat. we could not get match flat dimension exactly.  if i is otherway, We can change/adjust in the development factor in each bend to match the flat dimension. I did not find anything in solid edge to adjest the flat dimenion without changing the form dimensions.

Could you help me how to change the flat dimension without changing form dimension?

Regards

Venny

6 REPLIES

Re: Matching ProE flat sheet metal dimension to Solid edge flat sheet metal dimension

Phenom
Phenom

There is the same setting in SE to adjust the flattening. If you go to material properties of the part, then 'change' on the left hand side of the dialog box, it will open a new dialog with 'gauge properties' where you can adjust the K-factor or neutral factor or bend radii etc. I guess if you set these up the same as your Inventor settings the flat patterns should match.

Re: Matching ProE flat sheet metal dimension to Solid edge flat sheet metal dimension

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The only variables you can change in SE to adjust the flat pattern without modifying the formed part dimensions is the neutral factor and bend radius if using the default standard formula.

Beyond that, you can alternatively specify a gage table (excel - sample provided in preferences folder - see Help for format) or you can specify your own custom formula written as a a Basic program (samples provided in the "sheetmetal" folder in the Custom folder delivered with Solid Edge - see README files for instructions).

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Grundey is right.

One detail worth going into is that the PLZ formula (plastic zone calculations) for SE is very simple.

I would play with K=0.33 to K=0.5 and see if you can get a match. If you can't make it match with K values then Grundy has the correct solution.

If you really need to dig into bend math, Steve Benson has articles in a magazine "The Fabricator" that are a fantastic reference.

The first step would be to find out what K was used in Pro-E. SE defaults to K=0.33, did Pro-E default to K=0.5?

I know that in general, SE creates the flat as a result of the model and K factor.

The bend radius also needs to match.

One limit to be awere of in SE is the gage table. The time to open and select a gage from the gage table is directly proportional to the number of entires in the table. With about 40 entries, it takes about 10 seconds to open that menu. So about 1/4 second per entry. This is planned to be solved in ST9.

Genius
Genius

Thanks for everyone's reply.  We are able to match simple parts. and doing research beased on all your suggestions.

I will get back to you asap

Venny

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

In ST7 I  found a possible bug that relates to the issue. If you set K =0.33 using the gage table vs. setting K=0.33 manually, some flat pattern details turn out different.

In specific when you use the side angles of flanges, the plasic zone part of the cham is different.

Genius
Genius

We are using ST4