Mate command not responding

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I am tryin to make a C-clamp assembly. I have the body and the swivel. I want to mate the bottom of the swivel to one of the C-faces. I am trying to do this with Mate relationship. However, when I select the Mate command, I can't select the bottom face of the swivel. I am uploading the Body and swivel parts. It will be a great help if somebody can tell me what I am doing wrong.

Thank you

4 REPLIES

Re: Mate command not responding

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
Hi there,...I tried opening the files, but you must be using the Student [or Educational] Edition, so I can't open them in the Commercial version. If I'm allowed a turn on my daughters computer, I'll take a look when I finish work in a few hours....if nobody else has done it by then.
Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Dear Sean,

Thank you very much for the help!

I created the same swivel part using a different method and now I can do the Mate without any problem. I am uplaoding the Swivel2.par file. In Swivel.par file I used the revolve command to create the part. Whereas, in Swivel2.par file I use extrude and loft protrusion commands to create the part. 
I am interested in finding out why one works and the other doesn't.

Thanks again

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there,

OK, a quick glance and I think I see the problem,....."the profile" for the Swivel doesn't have a planar face to mate to the foot of the clamp, but base line is inclined and creates a cone when revolved. You could simply add a "Horizontal/Vertical" relationship to the line, and that'll fix it right up.

Just because there is always another way...you could also construct the cutback part with the "Chamfer" tool.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank you for checking. I had the hunch that I must have done a stupid mistake.