Material File Edit

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hello all,

I'm attempting to add expanded metal is a material. This one appears to be tricky.

relative to steel, I need to adjust the dencity and bit map. The problem is determaning where to put the bit map. Steel uses ANSI32, Where are the material referanced bitmaps kept? ANSI32 does not exist as a file. The bitmaps I do find are not referanced from the material table.

Let's say I create a bitmap called EXP-0.75-13.jpg Where to I place it?

Then can I just enter EXP-0.75-13 into the correct column of the material table and it will work?

Assume: I have added EXP-M 3/4-13Ga to the bending table at a thickenss of 0.70. The bend table will point to the new material if I can make the material refer to a new bitmap.

5 REPLIES

Re: Material File Edit

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

ANSI32 is a hatch style that is used for section views and it is a construct created in SE and stored in the SE file so no external file there.  Ultimately they should be created or copied (via Organizer) to the template files you are using.

You are really wanting to creat a Face style and map a texture (image) to it.  Face styles reside in the file they are created in.  The texture (image) file is located somewhere on disk.  Since the Face style will reference the texture from wherever you stored it it is critical that it is in a safe spot that every one can reference.

Once the Face style is created, then use the style Organizer to copy it to the material table for future use with other SE files using that material.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Thank you Grundey, But I still do not know where to start.

Let me ask this another way.

Where do I start the process of creating a face style? 

Note: I do not have the rendering option. I'm working with the fundimental version of ST6.

If I could create a new face style, I assume your procedure above is how I get that style associated with a material. Right?

When I apply the material steel, a bitmap gets applied. No bitmaps are part of the part file, it is associated with the material in the program. I want the same thing but for expanded metal as a work around----see boelow 

I'm familiar with the "Style" editor, but that only includes Dimensions, views, fill, hatch, line, table, and text. I don't see a face style. 

I found the "Style Organizer" but still can't find the connection between material and bitmap.

that bitmaps become critical---I agree. Right now I have a singel style under the organizer "Normal". Where is normal stored and how does it work? This is where I started....where should the new bitmap be kept associated with the program/material and not a part file. I thought the right starting place would be to locate the connection from the materials to the bitmaps. examine the existing stuff, then add my own.

This is all a work around because creating expanded metal with modeling creates a file larger then most complete models. My goal is to treat expanded metal just like sheet metal and have it look right and calculate the weight right.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
  1. You have to be in a PAR or PSM file, likely the one containing you sheet metal you want to look like expanded metal.
  2. Open the Styles command
  3. Select Faces Styles
  4. Select Steel
  5. Click New (this will set the new face style the same as Steel)
  6. On the Texture tab set the Texture image file and set the Background to Transparent (NOTE: your texture image file should have the color in the open spaces set to Transparent).
  7. Change scale to get it to look right and OK.
  8. You now have a new face style.
  9. Use Organizer to copy this to the Material table
  10. In material table set up your expanded steel and apply the new face style to it.
  11. Apply to your part and it should now look correct given you turned textures on for your view setting.

Thanks,
Ken

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

thanks again Grundey,

The issue I was missing was to be in a part or sheet metal file to create a face style. It never occured to me that I needed to be in a specific file type to create a material.

I will give this a shot when I have time.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yea, you have to be careful with that.  The SE options can also be different between part/assembl/draft or not having anything open.

Thanks,
Ken