Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material as option In Family of Parts

Creator
Creator

I'm trying to do the following without success and was wondering if anyone had a suggestion:

1. I need to create an alternate assembly that is made up of different part options.

2. The assembly needs to contain several parts that are from a family of parts.

3. Several of the family of parts are made from other family of parts.

a. Casting is made from either material A or material B.

b. The casting is then machined to create another finished part that is also required to be a family of parts due to it

being a differing material.

Solid Edge does not appear to like nested family of parts.

Im also having difficulty assigning materials as optinos in family of parts.  It will let me select a different density, but not material to set up as familiy member A, B, C etc.

If anyone has a solution, I'd love to hear it.

My ultimate goal is not to have 4 different models with their only difference being material combination.

Too often people forget to update all fo the models when there is a change.

Thanks in advance for any help.

1 REPLY

Re: Material as option In Family of Parts

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

After you publish the Family of Parts, go into the child part file and change the material there.  It'll stick with the part whever the part is used.  I expect your structure looks something like this.

Casting FOP Master.par

--> casting-materialA.par

---->machining-materialA.par  (insert part copy from casting-materialA.par; material props inherited from parent)

-->casting-materialB.par

---->machining-materialB.par (insert part copy from casting-materialB.par; material props inherited from parent)