Mates and direction arrows. Can arrow direction be reversed?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Seems like no matter what I do I can never just pick "this face and that face" and get them to mate up quickly and easily. I have been using SE for about 2 years an consider myself pretty good. But, I came from using SW for 10+ yrs. In SW mating was easy and intuitive, not so much for SE.

Anyway, when picking mates such as face or plane is there a way to rever the arrows so it doesnt flip parts around and give you the exact opposite of what you want?

Let me know if im not making sense.

Thanks for any help.

17 REPLIES

Re: Mates and direction arrows. Can arrow direction be reversed?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I agree with you that it's not as intuitive or friendly as in SW. Nor is fixing busted mates. They should provide an instream switch between align and mate. Flash fit at least smooths it out somewhat.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

So two things...

1. Solid Edge has 2 different "mates" depending on the direction of face normals.   If the face normals should point in opposite directions, you use the "Mate" relationship.  If the face normals should point in the same direction, you use the "Planar Align" relationship.
  2. If you mistakingly use the "Mate" relationship when you should have used the "Planar Align" relationship, just after you select the second face and the part moves, you should see a "Flip" button on the end of the Relationship command bar.  Clicking it will flip it to the other relatioonship.

On another note, if you were to use Flashfit, SE will assume either the Mate or the Planar Align relationship based on the starting orientation of the parts and will try to maintain that same orientation as closely as possible.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3

Pioneer
Pioneer

Well I will try the flashfit then. I just figured it was me as it is so hard for me to believe they could just leave it sooooo stinking clunky. I really do miss SW on these days...sigh.

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

I like Flash Fit.

After the part moves to the position you can just press the " f " key to flip from Mate to Planer Aligned.

It will also automatically float the offset if it can't get them to be coplanar.

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

That's true, there is a switch for mate/align. I got confused in memory. SW uses the "flip" if I remember correctly to change the "side" for a relationship distance whereas SE uses positive and negative numbers. That could use an in-stream switch rather than the need to change the sign manually.

Bruce Shand

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

The Use Reduced Steps setting changes the workflow some so try it with it on and off.

Tou may want to read up on the pros and cons of each mode.

Use Reduced Steps does not effect to Flash Fit workflow.

snip_20160520133443.png

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks for the tips guys. I will try them out. Its just disappointing that you have to hold your tounge right and jump thru a hoop with your left foot. Thank you.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Anybody have any good tricks for fixing broken relationships. I find it's often easier to delete and redo.

I know this is tiresome to say but SW had a neat interface that made this very easy.

Bruce Shand

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Bruce,

Cool improvements coming in ST9 for this.  Really nice tools.....

Kevin Grayson
Solid Edge Technical Consultant
kevin.grayson@siemens.com