Maya for rendering and animation

We are looking at using Maya for rendering and doing some animation for our marketing team.  Does any one have experience using maya?   I have ran across okino for a good translation tool from stp, stl to a maya type file.  Any help or feedback would be appreciated. 

There is a lot of talk about using keyshot.  Can keyshot do what Maya can do? 

7 REPLIES

Re: Maya for rendering and animation

Keyshot (I believe it is the "HD" license) is included with certain licenses of Solid Edge starting with ST7 which is the reason that it is discussed heavily here.  Not sure what the feature by feature comparison is between Maya and Keyshot is in the area of Rendering, but unlike Maya, Keyshot does not do modeling.  Keyshot does Rendering and Animation and it excels in fast realistic looking renders with minimal setup.  It has advanced features and can also do animation with the "Pro" or higher licenses, but the "HD" version shipped with Solid Edge can genertate rendered animations if the motion is set up in Solid Edge before transferring to Keyshot.  The best thing about Keyshot with Solid Edge is the seamless transfer and the ability to update the model in Keyshot without losing material asignments.

Ken Grundey
Production: ST9 MP6
Testing: ST10

Thanks for the feedback.

http://app.streamotor.com/Imavex/Imavex-3D-sample-reelHD-1080p

We are wanting to create videos like above.  We use NX not solidedge, so this makes sense of why keyshot is discussed alot.  I do not need to do the modeling.  Just the cool renderings and animations like in the attached link.  

I know maya is not a Siemens product so sorry for discussing this.  But I am trying to get a good feel for direction to take and advise our marketing team of what software to go with to make rendered animations with.

Cool videos!  Keyshot isn't a Siemens product either, it's made by Luxion.  I'm not a Keyshot expert, but I'm guessing everything could be done in it with the exception of the oil in the transfer case video.  Chain animations could be tricky also.  Best bet is to get in touch with their sales techs if interested.  They would know for sure.

Ken Grundey
Production: ST9 MP6
Testing: ST10

You don't need maya to do stuff like that. Keyshot/Solid Edge could do the animation/rendering, but you'd need something like Camtasia or After Effects to add the text. Like Ken said, the oil splashing around is a cool thing, but I've got no idea how to manage that sort of thing.

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

thanks for the feedback.  I do appreciate this a lot.

[ Edited ]

Grundey wrote:

The best thing about Keyshot with Solid Edge is the seamless transfer and the ability to update the model in Keyshot without losing material asignments.

Yes, this is of significant importance since data transfer between two programs could always prove to be a bottleneck. Keyshot gives you an edge in this area if you choose so with material assignments an additional  bonus. Keyshot is integrated with NX as well. Please see here and here.

One of the images on those pages, the one by Greaves, shows some liquid splashing, so the oil part in your animation should be a possibility.

We have decided to go with 3Ds max for the animation side of things.  But for the render, SInce Autodesk took Mental Ray and I-Ray out 2018 We now need to choose a good render. V-Ray,  Mental Ray or The New Arnold that is being shipped with 3ds Max 2018 are the choices for now. 

The transition between NX and 3ds Max is not pretty but it works.  I have to rename everything, but I can organize as I go. 

Thanks for the feedback.