Merging Sweeps help

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi, first post here. I am a complete noob but slowly learning SE. Have come to an issue with sweeps and not sure how to get past it hoping someone can help. 

I did the two outer sweeps first and they merged fine. But the middle one will not merge in with the other two, the current position of it is as far as I can go with it. I need it to fully merge in where the other two come together then will I will connect them all to a sphere then it will all subtract from a solid and make a hollow part, or thats the plan anyway. 

Thanks for any help!

6 REPLIES

Re: Merging Sweeps help

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi and welcome to the Solid Edge Community,

I'll take a closer look at what you are trying to accomplish but my first thought is you may want to try to create your Sweeps in the Ordered mode.  It's not that Synchronous can't model what you're trying to do but if you need to go back and edit or try one of the other options to "tweak" your sweep, you won't be able to go back to these unless you are in Ordered.  I'll see if I can come up with a workflow (unless somebody beats me to it) Smiley Happy

Sweep Options.JPG

Kevin Grayson
Solid Edge Technical Consultant
kevin.grayson@siemens.com

Experimenter
Experimenter

I did them in syncro, made a curved line and then a 2" circle on the other plane as my cross section. On the parameters I used single path and full merge. The first two merged no problem that way. 

Siemens Phenom

Any significance to your "paths" representing the outer edges versus the centerlines of your sweeps?  Should the center of the middle sweep be coincident with the center of the first?

I would try adjusting the position of your cross-section(s) relative to your path.  Again, you may want to work in Ordered mode so that you can adjust your path/cross-sections and have the 3D sweep update accordingly.

Kevin Grayson

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Further to Kevin's awesome direction on this....if you're running ST7, this might be a good candidate for 3D Sketches.

I am yet to get a break in my workload to do some work with this tool, but seems like a good helper in this "Manifold" style of part. At least in the path creation.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Siemens Phenom

Here's just a quick example showing a similar workflow in Ordered.  It's not exact to your example but it gives you an idea how you can go in and modify dimensions, etc and have the 3D update.

(view in My Videos)

Kevin Grayson

Siemens Phenom

Here's a link if the video on the other post doesn't come through:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oKQESdpHKw&feature=youtu.be

Kevin Grayson