Metadata in drafts?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi guys,

question for all of you out there:

do you enter any metadata (File Properties/Project) for draft files?

For those that do, what are the benefits of doing so?

Looked for ansers online but didn't find anything.

Thanks

ST8 MP4
Win 7 Pro
7 REPLIES

Re: Metadata in drafts?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @WSSTEEL,

I do this...as we use it to populate some of the title block fields.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Pioneer
Pioneer

Sean, just to be sure we are talking about the same thing;

I don't mean entering data in the file properties of a model but rather the draft file itself.

ST8 MP4
Win 7 Pro

Genius
Genius

The only info we get from our draft file properties are the things that are draft related.

Author - Of the draft, not the model

Date - Date the drawing was made

Manager - Drawing check by box

Company - Drawing approved by box

Honestly I dont know why we have a "Checked By" and "Approved" box since we don't use it. All other fields like "Title" and "Material" are derived from the model.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

In my experience elsewhere and where I am now drafts were/are just a "dumb" recipient of properties from models via properly formatted callouts.

Edit: Elsewhere actually all fields were handled in the model but here some fields in the draft titleblock are manually filled in by editing properties on the background sheet. You right click properties and a table dialog come up. But the draft file does not end up with any custom properties. Revision is the only standard property which is in our draft files.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

We have several properties we populate for the Drafts.  Some of it comes from our PDM system like the Document Number, Title, Change Number.  Others are added by the drafters such as Drawn By, Engineer, Issuing Change Order number.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

WSSTEEL wrote:

Sean, just to be sure we are talking about the same thing;

I don't mean entering data in the file properties of a model but rather the draft file itself.

Correct. [draft - file properties]

As most of our drafts are project based, and first entries are main assemblies [sales], then sub-assemblies [installers], then the individual parts [fabricators], in a single draft.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000
Highlighted

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I embed the parts name and number inside each part. This is used to display info about he part parts lists, view label, and even alternate call outs from bubbles.

because I do mainly sheet metal, the gage table, flat pattern cut X and flat pattern cut Y are also used this way.

Here is my typical sheet metal view call out

%{Document Number|GP} %{Title|GP}   %{Mass/@1|GP}
%{Gage|GP} x %{Flat_Pattern_Model_CutSizeX/CP/@3|G} x %{Flat_Pattern_Model_CutSizeY/CP/@3|G}