Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Methods to record WHY revisions are required

Experimenter
Experimenter

Can someone help me with revison management.

In particular I want to know about methods available for recording/managing the revision process outside Solid Edge and integrating those processes into PLM or Solid Edge.

For example -

1.  Why was the material typ changed?

2.  A part was modified to make manufacture or assembly easier/cheaper

Often such requests are made outside of the design by people not using CAD.

I would like to know what mechansims are available to join the reasons for change to the CAD/Design system

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Methods to record WHY revisions are required

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I can totally help you with that, but it's not something easily explained in a forum.

In short, you need to have a defined change process.  Within that process, you have your change forms (either paper-based or as metadata within a PLM system) and those change forms link the reason for change with the document revision. 

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello Scott

Thanks for the quick response.

Is the process something that can be set up either in or in conjunction with  Solid Edge PDM and/or Teamcentre.

Often edit revision changes come about due to mostly technical errors and adjustments.

And decisions to change material or similar as a result of a 'committee' meeting are sometimes different - although can be considered a design change.

I guess for me some of the details I would like to know more about  are how to create/store the data and get itinto/recorded against a particular part/assembly or project.

Regards

Ray Connon

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Do you have the Change Management license for Teamcenter?

If not, you can still do what you ask in Teamcenter, just not quite as easily.  Every time you revise a document, you should be doing so with a CR and/or CN object.  Within the CR object, you would capture the justification for change.

It may be possible to capture the justification for change in a metadata field during the release workflow if you don't have the Change Management module.

Good afternoon @Ray4 ,

Currently we don't have a Change Management license for Teamcenter. Instead we created an "EC" object and a relatively simple EC workflow.

I'm willing to share our EC process document with you, please see attached file. I hope it gives you some insight or ideas what you can do with Teamcenter if you don't have a Change Management license.

Capture.JPG

Kind regards,
Theodore Turner

Solid Edge 2019 MP6
Teamcenter 11.3

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello Scott

No we don't have Teamcenter at all.

I am trying to assess the benefits of Teamcenter along the way. And I guess this will be one of those benefits.  I am not aware of range of add-ons for Teamcenter, so you have helped me out already (with additional feature license info).

Handling the process with a PDF/MS Word or some other document is what I would expect, its how to integrate the data into something like Teamcenter I was unclear about.

I will pursue more details from our SolidEdge sales guy, particularly about the Change Management license.

Regards

Ray

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello Theodore

Thanks for the information.  I will work my way through the document you provided.

It should give me the results I require.

Regards

Ray Connon