Microsoft Surface Studio

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Great article from Microsoft. Anyone have one of these new babies running Solid Edge yet in production? It looks rather amazing.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/using-cad-surface-studio-cloud-simon-floyd

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development
9 REPLIES

Re: Microsoft Surface Studio

Genius
Genius
I had a play on one yesterday. No Solid Edge, just display model in store. Quite incredible machine. So many possibilities for use, but I think it would take me 6 months (years...) to figure out all the new ways it could be used. The hinge is a precision item and works.

Its not all good though:
-The price
-The hardware is not latest generation
-The dial slowly slipped off the screen, even while flat
-The price

If I did more hand drawing I think I would just buy one. As it is though, I wonder if after the 'shimmering wonder' dies down, that I would just leave the screen vertical and use a mouse and keyboard as I do now... I think there's a reasonable chance that'd be true, and in that case it would be a poor use of money.

Still, it was amazing...

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, the price point is the single biggest stumbling block for me too.

• i7 2.7Ghz, 1TB, 16GB RAM, 2GB GPU = NZ$6099.00
  • i7 2.7Ghz, 2TB, 32GB RAM, 4GB GPU = NZ$7299.00

I am currently looking at replacing my aging [but still functioning very well] Surface Pro3, and probably going back to a desktop workstation for use in the office. As I am making more, and more use of Keyshot for our sales team.

For instance, I can have a white box built, water cooled i7 4.2Ghz, 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM, 4GB Quadro = NZ$2624.00....admitedly, that doesn't get a brilliant 28" touchscreen, but it is quite a heavy price to pay.

BUT.......I would absolutely NOT pass one up, should I ever get one offered to me. [happily report findings on SE use - hint, hint] Robot wink

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Genius
Genius

I hinted first Sean...

I upgraded my box (black...) this year for a bit over AU$2k and you get a whole lot more computer power for your money than the Surface Studio. The hard drives that mount to the motherboard are very impressive.

I can touch my screen(s), but nothing happens...

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
Yeah, spot on Peter!.......when my computer store said they had one in store for demo, I asked if I could install Solid Edge on it for a trial, but never heard back.
Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

Phenom
Phenom

I'm still loving my SP3 too. I've got a top of the line Surface Book with perfomance base for work. I've primarily been running NX on that. So far it works well. I've bought a wireless miracast device too and use that to connect to customer conference room monitors/tvs. I recieved a Surface Dial for Christmas but haven't really found a good use for it yet.

Now that WIndows 10 Creator release is out I might have to take another look.

But, sadly no Surface Studio to play with. I like the Surface devices for the portability...this device doesn't fit that need.

Any news on some preconfigured settings for the MS Dial in Solid Edge or NX?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You can always add on a WACOM Cintiq 27QHD.

Or on a budget, just get a touch screen monitor.  Seems they exist in every brand...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Grundey wrote:

You can always add on a WACOM Cintiq 27QHD.

Or on a budget, just get a touch screen monitor.  Seems they exist in every brand...

Good point Ken [@Grundey],

Be interested to know, if the Hardware and/or Software plays as nicely with Solid Edge, as the implementation the Surface range has been able to achieve.

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

Genius
Genius

Disregarding the touching and drawing, the screen on the Surface Studio is quite impressive to look at. However the 27" iMac screen looked even better, and the specs back that up with slightly more pixels and greater pixel density. A couple of the curved 34" monitors of 3440x1440 I looked at were noticeably not as good as Studio Surface or iMac.

I don't think you can buy a separate Apple monitor these days, and even if you could they would be expensive and probably some compatibility issues maybe.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

https://youtu.be/ifZXp2geVKI

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200