Microstation Drawings

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I'm now unable to open Microstation files in SE version 9. These are DGN files. They opened fine in ST8. Any ideas please?

Thanks

Graham

11 REPLIES

Re: Microstation Drawings

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

I have a customer who noticed the same thing. I believe SIemens have discontinued this option.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

From the ST9 readme file....

Microstation to Solid Edge Data Translator

Microstation .dgn is no longer a widely accepted format for mechanical drawings. In 2003 with Solid Edge Version 14, the Microstation translation capability moved to an “Extended Support" status where we no longer provided fixes or enhancements. Solid Edge ST8 was the last release that the Microstation translator was delivered.

Phenom
Phenom

@uk_dave

This is important information information for us as the UK rail industry was based on the dgn format for many years - both from Intergraph days and Microstation.

We still get quite a few drawings to convert, so we will have to retain a seat of ST7/ST8 to do the conversions.

Is there a way the converter can be run as a standalone, or is it always as open/save-as ?

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Siemens Phenom

@beachcomber honestly off the top of my head I do not know but I will certainly inquire of others in the company and get back with you.

Genius
Genius

Is batch translate func. not useable for this ? (In the custom dir of SE)

Dirk Rutten

Solid Edge STX user

Phenom
Phenom

@Xedu - maybe someone with ST9 can confirm, but I doubt it as it's just doing an open on the dgn file into SE.

Something I forgot - the SE translator will only open dgn format up to Microstation V7.

We get V8 files which we open in Microstation and save them as V7 before importing into SE.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000

Siemens Phenom

There is no Microstation format available in the ST9 Batch.exe 

Siemens Phenom

@beachcomber here is the reply I got in regards to being able to open .dgn files into ST9 by using either the interface, command line, utility, etc.

No, there is no way to open DGN files directly into SE ST9. If the customer has AutoCAD, I would suggest going through AutoCAD to SE,

Phenom
Phenom

@uk_dave

Thanks for that information.
At least we can work around it by keeping an ST7 setup, which would be preferable to using AutoCad or DXF which is effectively 2 translations.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000