Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration ST8 - ST10 : Files and preferences

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi guys.

I skipped ST9 and now I'm migrating to ST10 from ST8, where I used to have Templates, Preferences, Tables, etc ( set on the File Locations page at Solid Edge Options window )  saved on a Onedrive folder (sync'd between my 2 computers).

Are we able to use them linked to SE ST10 installs? (also the new 'Settings and Preferences File' , that I suppose I can save somewhere in similar way, to be accessed by the computer #2 later, when I finish to set everything on computer #1) 

Or I should do everything locally on this computer, and then make 'the link' in some new way, that makes the computer #2 work like this one later, automatically?

* I will not use the cloud gateway. I will keep using the old-fashioned way of licensing and borrow between computers at first moment.

Thanks and Regards

---------------------------------
Hilario, Flavio
Industrial Designer
ST10 / Win10
3 REPLIES

Betreff: Migration ST8 - ST10 : Files and preferences

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @F_Hilario

my recommentation in such a case always is, do a clean and new install (also delete/rename all folders in the %appdata%\Unigraphics path) and adapt the settings for a new Solid Edge version once together with Your team.

This master setting should be taken to roll out it to other users and computers.

Therefore I use 2 small scripts for saving the UI (user interface and tab interface of SE) as well as the registry setting of the master user to the rest of the team.

Registry is saved and use via an registry export ..../SOlidEdge version 110 to a file, combined with a cleaning of every user specific entry.

And this neutral file will be used by any other user.

This for me works fine for several years and many SE versions.

Here are the lines of this script for the  v109

reg export "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Unigraphics Solutions\Solid Edge\Version 109" sev109_CU_single.reg

type sev109_CU_single.reg | find /V /I "\\users\\" > sev109_CU.reg

pause

the line with the "type ..." and " find" is used to filter out any lines with "//users//" in it

To use this reg file for another user simply use another script with a single line in it:

reg import sev109_CU.reg

Adapt this lines to use with ST10 or whatever version and it works nearly perfectly.

Another issue here is, that after I have set up a computer according to my wishes, I save this setting to a reg file, so that I can use it if there will be a problem with a future setting, view position, strange behaviour or any other user specific problem.

Simply double click the reg file and I have back my proper working settings.

Of course, for one and the same user You also can use the Settings wizzard which came with ST9

regards
Wolfgang

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @hawcad  Thanks for yoru reply

So, when you say ' other users ' you mean different logins / user names ?  

In my case I'm the only one using both machines ( a worstation PC (#1) and a Laptop (#2) )

I will try set everything on the PC locally, and then let's see what the Settings Wizard can do. 

Pointing the Onedrive folder helped me to have everything synchronized (including Keyshot content) when in travels ( borrowing the SE to my laptop) ...  I was just wondering if this new features on ST9/ST10 are better than that.

Thank you for help !

---------------------------------
Hilario, Flavio
Industrial Designer
ST10 / Win10

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

My only concern with moving from 9 to 10 is that I don't have to redo my custom menus.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200