Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration tool for inventor to Solidedge

Creator
Creator

Hi Can some one walk me through migrating Inventor to to Solid edge.

I am looking in to the possibilty of switching from inventor as it is too far behind in development in comparision to its competitors.

7 REPLIES

Re: Migration tool for inventor to Solidedge

Creator
Creator
I tried to open the data migration tool but it said I am not licensed to use it

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi there,

If memory serves, it is required to have Inventor installed on the same computer as the files being migrated into Solid Edge......and I'm not certain if this works in Student Edition.

Also be aware,....if you plan on moving to a commercial license of Solid Edge at a later date, then these files are unable to be opened.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP7] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Creator
Creator

hi Sean

I just want to test data migration to SE in case we get a opportunity to move from inventor to some software that works. so I can prove that migration may be hassle free. I am assuming we will lose the link between the drawing and the parts and the assembly mates might break.

Kind regards

Sammy

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi Sammy,

I only have the Inventer View 2016 installed, in order to verify my import of Inventor files from a customer.

The "Data Migration" process is where Sold Edge requires the actual full Inventor application to be present.....I think it can then make certain automated translation settings for models, assemblies & drawings alike.

[I don't have Inventor, so have not done this full procedure, so making a few broad guesses here, sorry]

I'd also suggest [when normally I wouldn't] that you re-post your question to the general Solid Edge forum >here<, rather than the Student Edition one,...as I'm sure there are users present there that can provide much more accurate and detailed answers than me.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP7] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Experimenter
Experimenter
Inventor forces the users to migrate all the previous saved files to the new version of the Inventor software. As far as I know migrating files should only be done when you change to other software. In other words I feel like I'm forced to change to other software by Inventor.

Experimenter
Experimenter

When you copy assemblies with Inventor with the included manager (design assistant) it's sometimes hard to do that because it makes use the project file location management that's rooted in the down/up linked files itselves. It worked fine a long time ago but now it's so messed up that even 3rd partie software are selling management software for this. Also this doesn't link the files always correctly to the drawings (relinking uplinked files). If there are bad or broken links, the user has to be "inventive" to solve this. It's a mess already. In the inventor user POV this mess is covered by forcing to migrate "all" the files to the newer version software. The PDM system the Vault to manage the root file locations properly is not why it only should be used for.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hi,

Some years ago I did a video about this workflow because our prospect wanted to see this. Now this company already is our user. Smiley Wink

Here is a video:

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/