Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum graphics card to run Solid Edge ST9 smoothly

Experimenter
Experimenter

I'm running the student edition of Solid Edge ST9 on my home computer and would like to purchase a workstation graphics card, such as the AMD FirePro W4100 or the NVIDIA Quadro P600 to improve performance, as my current graphics solution (NVIDIA GTX 1060), is very slow, even on small builds. The reason I'm interested in these two cards in particular is that they're afforadable. Will these cards run Solid Edge smoothly or would I need a more expensive model if I am planning on constructing small- medium parts assemblies?

9 REPLIES

Re: Minimum graphics card to run Solid Edge ST9 smoothly

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

What processor is in your PC?  Some of the I5/I7 processor's integrated HD Graphics will run SE fairly well.  If you have one of them you might try enabling the integrated graphics and disabling your NVIDIA card and giving it a try.  May save you some $$...

Ken

Production: ST10 MP7
Testing: SE 2019
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hey that's a good idea,my CPU is an AMD FX 8350. 

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Based on the little I know about the GTX 1060, it seems it should run Solid Edge just fine for your purposes as a student. Check your settings in Solid Edge options and make sure it is set to "Graphics Card - Advanced" under the View tab.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Experimenter
Experimenter
Thanks a lot, I'll try that

Experimenter
Experimenter

I tried your recommendation and it resulted in a far smoother experience. The program runs like a dream. I really apreciate your advice on this topic!

Thanks, 

Eric

Re: Minimum graphics card Solid Edge ST9, possible to fix glitch without a graphics card.

Experimenter
Experimenter

fix for the glitch when running on computers with no graphics card on this forum: 

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Student-Edition-Forum/Solied-Edge-ST9-slo...

Just posting a response for the sake of others finding the solution of ST9 not running smoothly at all.

I have been having luck running ST9 in public high school computer labs:

running fine on DellOptiplex 790 i3 4GB RAM no graphics card.

Attached is a fix written up by a student for other students to use.  I have had success getting around the issue using the attachment, but is a pain as every student in the school district computer lab has to go through the procedure every time they log into a new computer.  

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@dcstaples, why is Solid Edge Options > View > Application Display > Graphics card driven not the default option? I installed Solid Edge ST9 yesterday on a desktop with a 7th Gen i7 CPU and AMD R7 450, and it affected my first impressions of the software as I was immediately appalled at the graphics performance. I searched through the settings, found this setting, and changed it, and it made all the difference. I would have thought that the vast majority of Solid Edge users would have a dedicated graphics card in their computer.

To avoid poor first impressions, surely Solid Edge software developers could detect a dedicated graphics card, and use the "Graphics card driven" setting if one is found? If you are having problems with a small percentage of dedicated graphics cards not working properly, here a couple of suggested options:

- Solid Edge developers could record the frame-rate when using the dedicated graphics card when loading a default simple model as a first example upon starting the software for the first time, and if low (the GPU is having problems), ask the user if they want to switch to "Software driven" graphics

- Have a Solid Edge Tip/Hint that appears upon the user loading the first model asking whether the graphics performance is smooth. Have a link that takes the user to the "Application Display" setting area, so they immediately know where the setting is.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@MechtEngineer  Asked and answered in Solid Edge Forum...

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Forum/ST9-running-extremely-slow-on-new-h...

Ken

Production: ST10 MP7
Testing: SE 2019
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@KennyG, much appreciated. Thanks