Solved! Go to solution

Mirror copy of an assembly

I wish to create a handed copy of an assembly and save this new assembly as a part copy

I have tried this using the mirror command while in the assembly and this created the mirrored part however does not save this as a separate assembly (mirrored part copy)

How please is this process done in ST8 ?

Thanks

Anthony

9 REPLIES

Re: Mirror copy of an assembly

[ Edited ]

If you want to mirror an entire assembly at once you should have it a higher level assembly. Then select the assembly you want in the mirror command and the plane to mirror about. A dialog will pop up showing all the items and allowing you to exclude or change their mirror orientation.

Hit OK and Finish. A Mirror item will appear in the pathfinder. Expand it and an assembly with _mir at the end of its name and a an Assembly Copy with items with a _mir at the end of their names. This assembly copy is linked to the original unless you break the link. Open the new assembly and use it linked or break the link at which time the Assembly Copy item will vanish and you will have an unlinked mirrored assembly.

I don't know if this is the best way but others will perhaps weigh in with better or different ways.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Kind of a long path to get there, but... Have you tried mirroring the assembly, then using the Save As command to create a copy of the assembly. You can open the copy, and delete the original parts (also repair relationships as needed.) In your original assembly delete the mirror.
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author agoodwin
‎01-11-2016 07:37 AM

Sounds like the perfect job for Insert Assembly Copy.

1. Open blank assembly file
  2. Select Insert Assembly Copy
  3. Browse to your RH assembly and select it.
  4. Set the mirror option you want for your LH assembly
  5. Complete the command.
Ken Grundey
Production: ST9 MP6
Testing: ST10

Ken you are right. I forgot that the new Insert Assembly Copy had that option. We are still avoiding links between assemblies.
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author agoodwin
‎01-11-2016 07:37 AM

@Grundey,

Grundey wrote:

Sounds like the perfect job for Insert Assembly Copy.

1. Open blank assembly file
  2. Select Insert Assembly Copy
  3. Browse to your RH assembly and select it.
  4. Set the mirror option you want for your LH assembly
  5. Complete the command.

That is much better. I forgot about assembly copy. My method above gets to the same place but in a less direct way.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Many thanks for the useful replies, I tried antoher way that seemed to proudce satisfactory results, this was :

1. Mirror sub-assembly file in main assembly

2. Use transfer to add new (mirrored) handed sub-assembly into required folder

This seemed to work Ok

Beware if you already have mirrored parts in the original assembly.

You could end up with mirrors of mirrors - in other words, the same as the original but a different part file.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Ken has in fact written a much detailed blog article on this topic recently.

~Tushar

I do the morror the same way you mentioned here but I have two questions.

First Question,

Instead of your step no.1 & 2, is there a way to combine both in one step?

I mean can I save as an assembly and while saving as it will ask me do I want to mirror it or not?

Second question,

When I mirror an assembly, it keep the mirrored assembly linked to original assembly and mirrored parts are also linked with original parts.

I can break the link by break link in assembly and by going into individual part and moving them to synchronous but it takes lot of time.

Is there a way to tell solid edge while mirroring, do not keep it link?

Thank you,

Manoj