Solved! Go to solution

Mirrored Part - Non linked

Hello,

would you please to tell me whether is possible to make a mirrored part but non linked to original one ? Is there a feature to break the link ?

Thank you,

Arek

Solid Edge ST8 MP10
24 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author ArekK
‎01-13-2016 04:38 AM

Re: Mirrored Part - Non linked

[ Edited ]

Hi there @ArekK,

Yes you can....in both Ordered & Synchronous modes, you can use "Insert Part Copy".

In the "Parameters" there is an option to mirror the part being copied, and also, an option to remove the link to the parent file. [caution....this cannot be re-applied later]

If wanting to use Synchronous....it doesn't allow IPC links anyway, and the system removes the option automatically.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST9 [MP3] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Thank you Sean.
Solid Edge ST8 MP10

Another question :

I attached a screen shot.

Did mirrored body from the part.

How to save just a mirrored body as a new part and break the link to the oryginal one ?

Thank you,

Are

Solid Edge ST8 MP10

[ Edited ]

ArekK wrote:

Did mirrored body from the part. 

How to save just a mirrored body as a new part and break the link to the oryginal one ?

Hi @ArekK,

Mirror Body is a bit different....where that creates a feature within what is supposed to be a single [even if disjointed model elements] part file. You might like to look in the help topics for "Multi-Body" modelling, but more than likely you should be looking to model in context of, or "Create Part In-Place" of an assembly file....depending on your desired model outcome/use.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST9 [MP3] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

[ Edited ]

"How to save just a mirrored body as a new part and break the link to the oryginal one ?"

You don't say whether you want to stay in ordered or not.

In ordered instead of mirroring a body in the original part, open a new part and insert part copy with mirror checked and link unchecked.

In synchronous just delete the protrusion and leave the mirror body if you like. Or optionally use insert copy and mirror as Sean said.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP3 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

[ Edited ]

Thank you Bshand,
I have noticed that after inserting a part copy of the original part I have lost all features with a part copy. Cannot to modify the part copy body.
Regards,
Arek

Solid Edge ST8 MP10

[ Edited ]

Learn and use synchronous to regain control of such parts. Especially if you are going to be doing a lot of this kind of stuff. It's a great tool. You can start by doing a "move to synchronous" on that part. Apply PMI dimensions directly to any features you want to change. You can just work on what you have at the time of your insert part copy in synchronous then switch back to ordered if you like for new features. But you will soon ask yourself "why switch back" in most cases I would guess.

Bruce Shand

[ Edited ]

Let me ask a deep question:

1 I make a a complex sheet metal part.

2 I insert a mirrored copy, linked

3 I add holes to both the original and mirrored part.

My desired results are that, the original and mirrored part stay liked for all of the features at the time of the mirror.

Any feature added after the mirror, I want the parts NOT to be linked and separate.

Assuming ordered assembly driven sheet metal parts.

Is it possible to make things work that way?

One problem I run into with mirrored sheet metal is lack of flat pattern information in the parts list.

My typical situation is I have a right and left handed sheet metal part, but each one needs 1 or 2 additional holes that are different from each other.

You could, of course, add holes only to the linked mirrored part. If you add holes to the parent part they will appear on the linked mirrored part. However, you could use the "delete faces/holes" in the home/modify tab.

Bruce Shand