Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mirroring Sheet metal parts in an assembly and maintain ordered features

Creator
Creator

We have a large library of sheet metal parts and assemblies. Sometimes, we need to create a mirrored version of a sheet metal assembly. Today, there are two ways we know to do this:

1. Do a save as > part copy > mirror on all of the sheet metal parts, which then the new mirrored parts have no feature history and cannot be changed.
  2. Completely recreate each sheet metal part from scratch.

Does anyone have any feedback or input as to how to do this differently? How do you create new part numbers for and efficiently mirror, say, 50 sheet metal parts and maintain their ordered feature history in the tree?

7 REPLIES

Re: Mirroring Sheet metal parts in an assembly and maintain ordered features

Phenom
Phenom

You can't. If you know sychronous you can make edits, but you can't keep the history in ordered if you mirror the part. Best bet would be to just make a copy of the part using save as, and then just change it so that it's opposite from the one you copied it from.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Phenom
Phenom

If you do an ordered part copy the history is maintained by the original part.

If you want the history in the mirrored version you have to more or less create from scratch, although it might depend on the complexity. If you are lucky you will be able to adjust offsets and dimensions to get what you want - but it will not be linked to the original.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST10 MP6 on Windows 10 Pro 64.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I agree, you can't

I have to re-create mirrored parts from scratch for everything because I never know if the mirror's part or un-mirrored part will have a hole added later requiring separate flat patterns. There is no way to account for it other than make the part again in mirror.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @12GAGE

if this is a need than do a mirror in Your part and cut away the previous half.

This keeps the history and all features.

regards
Wolfgang

We do mirrors all the time here. If we know it's a true mirror we keep the mirror in ordered to maintain the link to the original. If not we move it to synchronous, breaking the link, in order to change it, change the name and regard it as a stand-alone part. In the details we'll indicate that the part is to be mirrored and add an isometric style view of the mirror. The mirror will also be in the parts list.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

So @12GAGE, you missed us too much, eh?

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I will be using SE for a while yet, I figure a 2 to 4 years transition. But I am no longer trying to figure out new tricks or trying to submit suggestions.

For the mirror thing, this is a shortcomming of SE. My typical situation is that I need a mirrored sheet metal part. But down the road one mirror or the other will need a hole and the other will not. And yes, flat patterns are needed. So there becomes no way to mirror an existing design, yet have both available independently for flat patterns. I gave up trying to mirror sheet metal three years ago and just have to create the part again in the mirrored position.

Note: I also am required to maintain the relations to the XYZ dimensions of whatever box I am working on (Tank, cabinet, pan, whatever). So my re-sizing setup of every design also played a factor. Sync not an option and all parts are of the re-size setup.